Swopping Bachmann Class 37 sound chips

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I have a Bachmann 30-375 Avro Vulcan XH558 train pack and I want to swop the decoder and speaker from my Bachmann 32-780RJ 37025 and fit it to 37424.  I want to run my 37025 with my Bachmann 32-789 37099 “Merl Evans” top and tailing my Network Rail test train.  

I was told it would be fairly easy to remove the sound chip and put it into 37424/XH558 as that would be trundling around on it’s own.  37025 and 37099 would then have identical sound chips fitted (I was told the Legobiffoman chips are the dogs b******s).  I was also told that pairing up the two similar chips would be easier than trying to match the one which is fitted inside 37025.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Edited by jools1959
Typo

• RMweb Gold

For a more definitve answer you should tell us what type of sound chips you have in each loco. e.g Loksound, Zimo, Hornby etc and the chip version. You also need to clarify what controller you have because this may or may not be able to make the changes to the chips that you probably need to make to achieve what you seek.

If the chips are all the same pin (and your locos are all relatively new so presumably 21 pin) then changing them around is straightforward plug and play. I am making an educated guess based on you saying sounds are Legoman when I say the chips are probably Loksound V4 or V5. If so then in terms of operational performance the sound files in the chip are largely an irrelevance because acceleration, deceleration, maximum speed etc are determined by the CV's settings in the individual chip which are independent of the sound files.

If you want to run as T&T with similar performance from each loco you should match the CV's in both locos which is easiest to achieve with the same version of chip, e.g 2 x V4 or 2 x V5. CV's are easily changed and even more easily messed up by the inexperienced! My preference is to use my friends Lokprogrammer to make setting changes to my Loksound chips although you can use a controller if it has programming capability. If you know what you are doing, changing CV's are straightforward but if you are not familiar then I recommend you seek experienced, professional assistance.

Be aware that even with matched CV's, performance will never be identical because you have individual differences in the mechanical elements of each loco. I have the same CV's settings across a fleet of 37's but can see differences in performance and know that I need to avoid certain double headed pairings. 

In summary what I think you want is achievable but take care when working with chips because any mistakes can quickly become very expensive. A few pounds spent on professional assistance more then covers the potential cost of a replacement sound chip.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, young37215 said:

For a more definitve answer you should tell us what type of sound chips you have in each loco. e.g Loksound, Zimo, Hornby etc and the chip version. You also need to clarify what controller you have because this may or may not be able to make the changes to the chips that you probably need to make to achieve what you seek.

If the chips are all the same pin (and your locos are all relatively new so presumably 21 pin) then changing them around is straightforward plug and play. I am making an educated guess based on you saying sounds are Legoman when I say the chips are probably Loksound V4 or V5. If so then in terms of operational performance the sound files in the chip are largely an irrelevance because acceleration, deceleration, maximum speed etc are determined by the CV's settings in the individual chip which are independent of the sound files.

If you want to run as T&T with similar performance from each loco you should match the CV's in both locos which is easiest to achieve with the same version of chip, e.g 2 x V4 or 2 x V5. CV's are easily changed and even more easily messed up by the inexperienced! My preference is to use my friends Lokprogrammer to make setting changes to my Loksound chips although you can use a controller if it has programming capability. If you know what you are doing, changing CV's are straightforward but if you are not familiar then I recommend you seek experienced, professional assistance.

Be aware that even with matched CV's, performance will never be identical because you have individual differences in the mechanical elements of each loco. I have the same CV's settings across a fleet of 37's but can see differences in performance and know that I need to avoid certain double headed pairings. 

In summary what I think you want is achievable but take care when working with chips because any mistakes can quickly become very expensive. A few pounds spent on professional assistance more then covers the potential cost of a replacement sound chip.

I don't know what the chip is in the Bachmann 37025, but as it's going into 37424 which will run on it's own, I didn't think it would be much of a problem.  The two other 37's are going to have their sound chips fitted professionally and then matched so they can run together without issue.  The plan originally was to have all three fitted and swopped professionally but I thought I could swop from one to another without difficulty and save myself a few pounds.

Edited by jools1959
Typo

Hi Jools,

By coincidence I have a sound fitted 37025 which I’m going to take the decoder out of and put into either 424 or my ROG 37. It’s fairly straight forward to do as the decoder is 21 pin so easy to remove and add to your other model along with the speaker. 

I’ve got 37099 fitted with Bifs sounds and will be adding Bifs WH sound 37/0 to 025. You can get a matched pair of decoders from Charlie which is great as the horns will sound on the leading loco etc. 

Hope that helps

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi Jools,

By coincidence I have a sound fitted 37025 which I’m going to take the decoder out of and put into either 424 or my ROG 37. It’s fairly straight forward to do as the decoder is 21 pin so easy to remove and add to your other model along with the speaker. 

I’ve got 37099 fitted with Bifs sounds and will be adding Bifs WH sound 37/0 to 025. You can get a matched pair of decoders from Charlie which is great as the horns will sound on the leading loco etc. 

Hope that helps

Mark

Hi Mark, I would be most grateful for any hints or tips I may need but firstly, does 37424 already have a speaker installed or do I need to not only remove the chip but the speaker as well from 025?  I plan to get Legobiffoman's Class 37 chips to fit into 025 and 099, and I assume it's a fairly easy job to fit them?  The reason I'm asking is that I'm fairly new to installing chips into loco's as I've generally in the past either bought fully fitted (37025) or have them professionally installed.

I have Hornby's Mk2D BSO 9481 and Mk2F TSO 72631, so all I need now is my Britannia Pacific 975091 "Mentor" to be delivered and I've got my complete test train.  To have it top and tailed with 37025 and 37099, sound fitted will be a show stopper.

On 26/09/2020 at 18:49, jools1959 said:

Hi Mark, I would be most grateful for any hints or tips I may need but firstly, does 37424 already have a speaker installed or do I need to not only remove the chip but the speaker as well from 025?  I plan to get Legobiffoman's Class 37 chips to fit into 025 and 099, and I assume it's a fairly easy job to fit them?  The reason I'm asking is that I'm fairly new to installing chips into loco's as I've generally in the past either bought fully fitted (37025) or have them professionally installed.

I have Hornby's Mk2D BSO 9481 and Mk2F TSO 72631, so all I need now is my Britannia Pacific 975091 "Mentor" to be delivered and I've got my complete test train.  To have it top and tailed with 37025 and 37099, sound fitted will be a show stopper.

The Pre Fitted speakers are normally poor and won't do anything for our sounds, when ordering I suggest you get the Class 37/0WD with an IP2 Speaker.   You will need to disconnect the speaker fitted by removing the two wires from the decoder.  Then the wires from the speaker should be soldered to the two speaker tabs on the circuit board. Any issues you can ring me 01132 563415.

Charlie (Legomanbiffo)  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, charliepetty said:

The Pre Fitted speakers are normally poor and won't do anything for our sounds, when ordering I suggest you get the Class 37/0WD with an IP2 Speaker.   You will need to disconnect the speaker fitted by removing the two wires from the decoder.  Then the wires from the speaker should be soldered to the two speaker tabs on the circuit board. Any issues you can ring me 01132 563415.

Charlie (Legomanbiffo)  

Hi Charlie,

I’m aware that the factory fitted speakers are not as good as the one’s you sell but I’m wary about fitting others as from what I’ve read, you have to remove or alter the fan assembly apart or have I got that wrong?

On 02/10/2020 at 21:06, jools1959 said:

Hi Charlie,

I’m aware that the factory fitted speakers are not as good as the one’s you sell but I’m wary about fitting others as from what I’ve read, you have to remove or alter the fan assembly apart or have I got that wrong?

Hi Julian,

The IP2 speakers Charlie mentions are the ones I suggested as an easy upgrade on Bachmann locos as they fit in the little resess on the chassis under the fan housing without the need for any mods and the speaker will connect straight into the loco PCB via the tabs marked SP+ and - 

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mark

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi Julian,

The IP2 speakers Charlie mentions are the ones I suggested as an easy upgrade on Bachmann locos as they fit in the little resess on the chassis under the fan housing without the need for any mods and the speaker will connect straight into the loco PCB via the tabs marked SP+ and - 

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mark

Hi Julian.   These are very popular and the IP2 Speaker has made this far easier to get superb sounds.

The Class 37/4WD has wheelslip and the Class 37/4WH does not.

See the link below if you decide to go ahead.       Thanks Charlie

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=224

• Like 1