After posting some information in the ‘unconventional scales and gauges’ topic, I decided to have a bit more of a look into this. I already knew they were produced by Bandai to 4.8mm gauge and that ZZ was briefly the smallest scale/gauge before T was introduced. I hadn’t realised how short-lived it was though - the trains seem to have only really been produced from 2005 to 2007. Assuming they are out of production, is there anywhere where it might be possible to acquire a set, either secondhand or ‘new old stock’?

The Shinkansen models are shown running in this video: 

They are rather toylike but could probably be improved slightly. However, each set appears to only have only one driven axle (where a two-axle bogie should be as well, but anyway...). Can anyone confirm this?

It does seem a nice size (1:300 scale, close to 1mm/ft), and the larger size than T could actually be quite a good thing, while it’s still smaller than Z. I wonder if Zm components could be used (close at 4.5mm gauge, but probably to finer standards), but is there anything else rail-related in 1:300? I’ve already found some military and ship models online, and some cars and figures seemingly intended for architects’ models. 

Finally, although several of the models are of standard gauge Shinkansen prototypes (definitely 1:300 scale), some of the others are 3’ 6” gauge prototypes (including this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/253_series). I assume the models of these are still to 1:300 scale using the wrong gauge (like Japanese N gauge models of 3’ 6” gauge prototypes) but are they actually to Z (1:220) scale with what would then be a very accurate gauge? This photo suggests that they’re all the same scale but I’m not absolutely sure: https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ZZ_Train_Züge.JPG

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I am a bit suspicious of the ride height; way too high but indicative that they have to be like this to house mechs, which will make improvement impossible.  I am also highly suspicious of the video only showing the trains running at full speed, suggesting that slower speed control is not possible.  Very crude and no turnouts; at least you can make a layout in T gauge and run down to about 30mph scale.

Sorry, it's a toy AFAIC, and not a very good one either.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To be fair, if you were using the scale to model open country stretches of Shinkansen routes, you wouldn't need more than one speed; it's only operating nerds like me who want to slow things down and shunt.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

To be fair, if you were using the scale to model open country stretches of Shinkansen routes, you wouldn't need more than one speed; it's only operating nerds like me who want to slow things down and shunt.

Although I suspect a bigger issue with uncontrolled battery power would be that the speed would slowly decrease as the battery ran out. On the other hand, I find myself thinking that batteries might get round the heavy track cleaning requirements that have formed part of my (admittedly limited) T gauge experience. I think the issue is that once you’ve improved the Bandai ZZ stuff to a reasonable level (for argument’s sake, let’s set the standard of RTR T and Z gauge as a benchmark) you might as well have started from scratch, although I am intrigued by the 1:300 scale stuff available (mainly architecture, boat and military models).

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Although I suspect a bigger issue with uncontrolled battery power would be that the speed would slowly decrease as the battery ran out

isn't this only the vase 6with the old zinc chloride batteries? I understood that alkalines retained their Voltage right to the bitter end then gave up the ghost...

2 hours ago, ikcdab said:

isn't this only the vase 6with the old zinc chloride batteries? I understood that alkalines retained their Voltage right to the bitter end then gave up the ghost...

Not sure. I have run a battery powered train that uses an AA battery, which does get slower as the battery runs out. I think Bandai ZZ uses watch batteries.