GWR "Castle" exhaust injector pipe-diameter?

rodent279

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know what the diameter of the large black pipe (exhaust injector?) in the photo is, please?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-XYsKXYhXM-bkIzc29sODZtZ1U/view?usp=drivesdk

I need to make a new one for an Airfix Castle.

Also-are the combined pipe supports and handrails produced in 4mm scale? I have plenty of turned brass handrail knobs, but none for the combined handrail/injector pipe.

Cheers N

FWIW the pipe is the exhaust for the 4 cone vacuum brake ejector. ISTR that it would be about 3" dia.  The exhaust injector pipe work would be below the cab floor. Injectors (for putting water in the boiler) are often confused with ejectors (which create the vacuum for braking).  An exhaust injector uses some of the steam exhausted from the cylinders to put water in the boiler when running.  Apologies, in advance, if this sounds pedantic.

Cheers,

Ray.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Marshall5 said:

FWIW the pipe is the exhaust for the 4 cone vacuum brake ejector. ISTR that it would be about 3" dia.  The exhaust injector pipe work would be below the cab floor. Injectors (for putting water in the boiler) are often confused with ejectors (which create the vacuum for braking).  An exhaust injector uses some of the steam exhausted from the cylinders to put water in the boiler when running.  Apologies, in advance, if this sounds pedantic.

Cheers,

Ray.

Not even remotely pedantic, I did wonder whether it was the exhaust ejector, but for some reason decided it was the injector. The clue of course is that if it was the injector, it would have a connection to the top feed.