Broadhaven - another route to the Continent

SteveyDee68

54 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

I'm looking at an article by Anthony New in Hornby Magazine from June 2008 titled Modelling Weymouth's Harbour tramway. 

Many thanks for that information - a copy has been promptly purchased off eBay to add to my collection!

Steve S

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Thanks @Pacific231G 

Based on that I believe the book is "Aspects of Modelling: track layouts" by Anthony New. Widely available 2nd hand on ebay 

Andy

And further to the above, a copy of the book has also been purchased (ironically for less than the second hand magazine!)

Both of which will be very useful. I’ve just been sketching (as one often does) some rough ideas to include tramway running leading to a train ferry dock and passenger station alongside - hopefully these will help map out something usable and credible.

Thanks for the input, @Pacific231G and @AndyB

Steve S

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

And further to the above, a copy of the book has also been purchased (ironically for less than the second hand magazine!)

Both of which will be very useful. I’ve just been sketching (as one often does) some rough ideas to include tramway running leading to a train ferry dock and passenger station alongside - hopefully these will help map out something usable and credible.

Thanks for the input, @Pacific231G and @AndyB

Steve S

My pleasure Steve.

I'll be interestedto to hear how the piece about that idea in the book compares with the magazine article (which I have).

On 16/07/2023 at 12:56, Pacific231G said:

Hi Andy

I'm looking at an article by Anthony New in Hornby Magazine from June 2008 titled Modelling Weymouth's Harbour tramway.  It fits your description to a tee. and includes diagramatic plans of the actual Weymouth Pier layout from 1931, 1960 and 1973. There are four layout plans, the first, in 8ft x 6ft  for a terminus to fiddle yard with just the Pier, then an 11ft x 8ft plan including a longish stretch of the tramway as well, then two more that also includ Weymouth Town, the second of which in 12ft x 8ft also includes Castle Cary (the junction for the Weymouth line) with a continuous run main line and a reversing curve.

Having now read the article in the magazine and looked at the track plans, I noticed that he kept the curve along the quay in the correct orientation on all his plans. As the graphic illustration (by no less than John Wiffen, the genius designer behind Scalescenes) shows, it looks great to anyone viewing the layout from outside the baseboard, whereas the operator gets to see the backs of low relief buildings!

As a sole operator, I would want to be looking at the scenery rather than be behind the scenery; to that end, unless planning to have a lot of dead space behind, I’d flip the orientation of the curve of the quay wall so that the harbour was on the inside.

I’m looking forward to receiving the book in due course!

Steve S

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

...As a sole operator, I would want to be looking at the scenery rather than be behind the scenery...

I’m looking forward to receiving the book in due course!

Steve S

Steve, from memory* the plans in the book are of the "room filler" variety with the operator stood in the middle and looking into the railway scene. 

* quite possibly fallible! 

• Like 1

On 17/07/2023 at 00:09, Pacific231G said:

My pleasure Steve.

I'll be interested to to hear how the piece about that idea in the book compares with the magazine article (which I have).

Save your money - it’s a reprint! 🙄

Quick glance through the book and first impressions are that other designers are now coming up with more imaginative use of space - the schemes proposed by @Dzine for example!

It’s food for thought, though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 months later...

One of those coincidences that makes you go “Hmmmm”

My layouts and planned layouts are all named for localities, places or people which I have links to, hence …

Blackford Wharf - named for a local river bridge, but happens to feel appropriate for a C&HPR location (Cromford Wharf becoming Blackford Wharf)

Blackford Bridge - named for a local river bridge, which has never had a train near it (other than trams)

Woodhey Quay - named for a high school I was working at when I started it!

Castlebrook Sidings - named after my secondary school!

DRS Engineering - named after my late father

The exceptions were Burnstow Dock and this layout idea, Broadhaven (an amalgamation of Broadchurch and Newhaven)

Driving past the SEN school that has recently finished being built on the site of my old secondary school, I was struck by the name of the new school … Broadhaven School.

Life imitates art?

Happy New Year!

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/07/2023 at 19:41, SteveyDee68 said:

my excuse is that “William Shakespeare” was used on the Golden Arrow, so “Oliver Cromwell” can be used on a similarly prestige service for Broadhaven!

Very unlikely!

Seaford 150 70013 Oliver Cromwell in Newhaven Harbour station 7 6 2014.jpg

Seaford 150 Support services at Newhaven Marine 7 6 2014.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

Very unlikely!

Seaford 150 70013 Oliver Cromwell in Newhaven Harbour station 7 6 2014.jpg

Seaford 150 Support services at Newhaven Marine 7 6 2014.jpg

One of those coincidences that makes you go “Hmmmm” 😆

With thanks indeed to @phil_sutters for the photos!

To quote Hannibal Smith of A Team fame, “Don’t you just love it when a plan comes together?”

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 1

Another “Newhaven” link arrived via The Class 37 Group on eBay in the form of Bachmann/EFE’s latest offering, a Class 70 “Booster” (or “Hornby” as some call them) as used on Newhaven boat trains.

I also have the Bulleid 1Co-Co1 diesel which equally could haul a boat train, plus Class 71 and far too many West Country/Battle of Britain and Merchant Navy locomotives to handle the same traffic. Note to self - no more flashy express locos! And thanks to Phil Sutters I can actually justify “Oliver Cromwell” at my fictional-based-upon-actual location, too, albeit incorrect by a few decades from my setting!

I think the majority of the required passenger stock is assembled in terms of Pullman carriages*, BR Mk1s and various EMUs (including the obligatory “Brighton Belle” - well, it’s just around the corner!) although a major omission is the Night Ferry Pullman Type F sleeper cars, but I guess I really should simply stop now and do some proper planning.

So many projects, so little time or skills!

HOURS OF FUN!

* Although I don’t have any 12 wheeler Pullman carriages as used on the Newhaven trains… and at recent eBay prices, I never will!

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 1

Facebook group the other day - someone posted the following and suggested it might make a good “micro” …

IMG_4876.jpeg.23d29792d1637d3f061663a2c2046745.jpeg

Well, those loops in the centre I imagine are about four MK1 coaches long* (as that was how many Type F Sleeper coaches were shunted on and off the ferry) which I mocked out upstairs … approx 4’6” (not including points)

The ship would be a smidge over 5’ long in 1:76, the link span perhaps 6”.

A train off the ferry would assemble into an approx 12 MK1 coach length train; a departure siding running alongside the yard and ship would be approx 9 MK1 coaches long, so another 3 feet or so required.

Total length of “micro” serving the ferry so far … hmmm … approx 14 feet, maybe.

That’s before any passenger facilities are included.

That’s a big “micro” I guess!

In other news, the constant drip fed advertising on these pages is wearing away at my resistance. There should be a law against it. It’s almost as pernicious as Gambling Advertising (which I find loathsome)

You know what I’m talking about. Some of us suffer from an addiction, I tell you, an addiction!

IMG_4895.jpeg.cdb3bf028d83a5858d4b9cd73a307b7d.jpeg

HOURS OF FUN

* Looking at the 08, possibly longer - five, six?

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 2

Have been reading through the thread from the beginning, in order to put on placeholders for missing images so I can be a little more efficient when searching through my image library.

First thing that struck me - Good God, can I waffle on! 🤣

I can justify it in that I am simply writing down my own thoughts to make sense of them, and at the same time that allows others to make comments and suggestions as they see fit.

Which is fine, except I now understand why I always had such issues with word counts for essays and suchlike - or, rather, maximum number of words permitted! 🤣

Secondly, I put images - especially of plans - into the text so I can myself understand (and also explain) my thoughts. Thanks to The Great RMWeb Crash, many of those images have gone. If unable to restore them, I think I may as well prune a great deal of the aforementioned verbiage as it becomes essentially pointless.

Thirdly - and this only struck me whilst reading a note I had made about others being concerned that the bulk of a model train ferry would hide the station - the train ferry itself is approx five coaches long, with a link span of approx another coach length; the sidings feeding into it are approximately the same length again, and then a headshunt approx five coaches in length*. Added together, the “coach length” from ships bow to the shoreside end of the ferry feeder sidings would be around 12 coach lengths, and I’ve calculated I need a 14 coach length platform for boat trains - that means the ship itself will cover approx half of the length of the station, starting approx two coach lengths shore wards from the end buffer stops of the boat train platform. That means (a) views of arriving trains should not be impeded, (b) the main point work for the passenger station should align with the beginning of the train ferry headshunt line, and (c) the sorting sidings for the ferry cover the landward half of the station.

I really must draw that up schematically and save it as I think it will assist in thinking about the vertical design of the layout!

HOURS OF FUN!

(Nurse! The screens!)

* Four coaches plus reach wagon!

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 3

Note to self:

Weymouth = street running of passenger trains to serve passenger ferries plus goods etc

Dover = train ferry alongside passenger terminus serving other ships

Newhaven = multiple stations to serve town and ferries

Having calculated (roughly) the space required for track to serve a train ferry efficiently, it seems unreasonable to then suppose that access to that is via street running (5mph flagman etc).

Therefore previous thoughts of incorporating Weymouth style street running is redundant.

The other (huge) consideration is to have a double track link span as per Dover … this may need rethinking.

Steve S

(laid up in bed, and thinking too much!)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've always thought that Weymouth Tramway would make a brilliant layout, but because of it being on a outward facing curve, it would look great at a exhibition layout but not so good on a home layout, unless you built it more or less straight.

• Agree 3