Irwell Valley Railway in N-Gauge

lilchris

This is the post for my new layout which I started the end of November 2019. It is a modular layout made up of four boards, the two back ones are the fiddle yard and the two front are scenic boards and are split level. I am using my NCE SB5 system through four PSX circuit breakers. Two for the fiddle yard up and down lines and two for the scenic boards up and down lines. I am using Peco Code 55 track throughout the layout with cobalt Digital motors controlled through a Cobalta Alpha unit although a couple of the motorrs on the scenic section arre controlled by switches linked into the system also with Cobalt Mimic.

The scenic section on the left board is the viaduct from my old layout which I have incorporated into the layout with the River Irwell going underneath. The right board wil have a small station with a small goods yard for more interest. The track curves round and then goes under a high level line which  goes over the viaduct on the left, the track from the station curves round and also crosses the river on a lower level over the Monkey bridge which replicates the one on the line over the river between Radcliffe and Bury. This bridge is still in use today by the Manchester Mertro light tram system. The layout is a figure eight folded over, I got the idea after seeing Monkchester at a railway show last year. I have built the layout this way so it could be dismantled if need be, it is on casters so it can be pulled out from under the eaves in the loft room. I had some fun getting the layout level I found that the floor is not has level as I thought it was. The boards have square locating holes for the supports, the boards are fixed together with dowels and suitcase catches and can be seperated and lifted off the supports. I will post some more pics when I am on the railway room computer where all the pics are stored. I have progressed quite a long way, I have been building a new Monkey bridge, I had one on my first layout, this is the third. This layout has allowed me to make the the new bridge I am building quite a bit wider, not quite has long as the real bridge but it should look good.  I would show pics but they all post upside down

Edited by lilchris
trying to correct pic orientation
  • Like 1

Not sure how to correct this I have a pic on the computer the right way up and it posted upside down so I dleted that and tried one that was upside down with the same result ? Can anyone advise on what I am doing wrong.

Edited by lilchris

I have tried to post some more pics but I am getting the same result they aways end upside down. So here is a link to a video showing the layout instead. A 4f and and a Jinty going round, hope the signalman notices the 4f has lost its break van....

The layout is 9'wide x 4' 5" deep, the scenic area is 33" deep to the back scenic boards. There are three tunnels on the layout, I managed to avoid making it four by building a road and a road bridge upto the high level section over the right high level tunnel. I have made to two bridges based on ones at Burrs in Bury on the East Lancashire railway. I have been building a model of the Monkey bridge for the last couple of weeks, I had one previously on my first layout but decided to re build it more or less from scratch. I am hoping to fit that in position this coming weekend.

I have managed to post a pic the correct way round. This pic shows the different levels on my layout, the left pair of tracks is from the viaduct and is decending, it carries on losing height before joining the fiddle yard. the pair of tracks are losing a small amount of height while the duck under the other tracks they then go round and the up to the high level along the back of the level to come round back over the viaduct. You can see the wood shaped on the back board to the outline of the hill which has been buit there. I will post some pics tomorrow now I have solved the pic posting problem. The big hole is for access inside the tunnel under a big hill.691651943_Scenicbackboardpainted800x600corrected.jpg.07ca47ba9b4888c57c24f7ebe5782f04.jpg

Here is another pic showing the construction of the fiddle yard tracks. The fiddle yard is made of two boards, has you can see the track joins. I have soldered the track too brass screws, the track is all code 55 with Cobalt digital motors. I had wanted the fiddle yard track to be longer, but I had to lose some length on the left to allow room for the down gradient from the viaduct. I have kept the gradient to under 2%, and all curves to nothing less than 2nd radius. I had some 9" radius on my old layout and it restricted movement. The plan was to use the centre tracks has through lines but they are the longest so I may change my mind.

20200112_163315correct.jpg

My last post tonight, This pic shows the two levels of track coming round to the fiddle yard board. The high level from the viaduct going down to the centre of the fiddle yard board. The low level track ducking under then going up along the back of the fiddle yard board to the high level. When I thought of this plan I was not sure if it would work, there is not much level track on this layout or straight track for that matter. I wanted trains through the country side but with a small built up area has well.20200119_161539correct.jpg.3fbf8c7370081ec4a312e5fd0072f773.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would post a nother pic1643551821_20201206_1939161280x768.jpg.eb26400f0070308599cd8ef31a472202.jpg of the layout. The layout is on castors so I can pull it forward from under the eaves. I still have lots to do, a small station will be on the right side along with a couple of sidings. At the front on the left is my programme track which is removable. The layout is 9' from right to left and about 33" deep, the fiddle yard behind is about 18" deep and comprises of 8 tracks. There is a gradient across the back leading to the high level, I have kept the gradients to 2%.

Edited by lilchris
added text
  • Like 1

Here is a video showing my new Midland Pullman bought recently with some Christmas money plus my new sound fitted Class 31. The Class 31 did not come fitted with sound, I bought a Zimo Next 18 and the sound file from Digitrains.

Thanks very much Kris, I got the idea from when I went to the Wigan show in 2018, and saw a layout there, called Monkchester. I imediately wanted a run where the trains went round on a long run, so my trains run round twice before getting back to where they started via the high level. I had to make some compromises with the length of the fiddle yard to fit the high level in without going above 2%.

Edited by lilchris
Found name

• 11 months later...

I have not posted any updates for a while on the layout. Since I last posted I have removed the large hill on the left and made the corner track visible with a bridge going over the lower track, then both sets go into tunnels before entering the fiddle yard at the back. I have built a meadow in the left corner with a stream and pond, I have also done work on the village behind the church with shops and houses going up the hill, with station road leading to the front of the layout.

I have also now used the Metcalfe kits to make the station buildings. I also have working colour light signals in the station, and three Dapol semiphore signals on the layout. Here are a few pics of my progress so far.

20211211_211411 [1600x1200].jpg

20211211_211423 [1600x1200].jpg

20211211_211316 [1600x1200].jpg

20211211_211325 [1600x1200].jpg

20211211_211353 [1600x1200].jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I have retired this layout now it is currently up for sale with Heywood model railway group. I made it to big for access to the fiddle yard, because of the shape of the loft room I was having to crawl round the back, then also banging my head. I am starting a new layout using the fiddle yard, the new layout will be called “East Lancashire Lines”, I will make smaller modular sections connected to the fiddle yard which will have castors has before.Chris