Bachmann EZ Command Fault

Riccarton Junction

Only had my EZ Command for a couple of weeks and it was working fine. Tonight I switched it on and one of the locos reversed and fell off the track. I quickly switched the controller off to pick up the loco and when I went to switch it back on it was dead i.e. no red light coming on. I disconnected everything and now just have the controller connected to the power, but still no red light.

Worryingly there is a slight burnt plastic smell from the controller. I've taken the lid off and I can't see anything obviously fried or melted. If this thing is buggered then I will be seriously dis-chuffed as I was led to believe these controllers were bullet proof.

Any thoughts? Is there any chance it will come back to life if left overnight ☹️

• RMweb Premium

Mine blew up because one of the connector pins on the underside made contact with the track while it was on. Not sure if this is still an issue on the latest versions.

This is the connector that plugs into the addon module.

Wish id notice earlier and i could of put some tape across.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys,

I just started tinkering with my Bachmann EZ command system that was passed down to me from my grandfather. Have any of y’all had issues with reprogramming locos? I bought 2 DCC locos and they will only run on function 10 which is the analogue program setting.  It won’t let me reprogram those locos to another function address.  Wondering if anyone had some ideas?  

I would echo what smokebox says, and a warning...

The EZ Command, with the supplied power supply, uses a stupidly high track voltage (or at least mine did) so be careful running non chipped locos on address 10, especially if they are stationary for any length of time.

You can change the PSU, but it needs to be AC, not DC.

• Informative/Useful 1