Using sheet sandpaper for road surfaces (?)

TT-Pete

Apologies if this has been done before elsewhere, but what methods do people use for representing asphalt road surfaces in 4mm scale?

I'm leaning towards a method I've read about using sheets of sandpaper cut to size, painted and then stuck in place. This appeals to me as I've got hard to access areas where a sheet could be prepared, glued and slid in nicely. Only problem is nobody ever mentions what grade of sandpaper or what type of paint (enamel, acrylic, poster paint etc...) should be used.

Any suggestions/alternatives please?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

Apologies if this has been done before elsewhere, but what methods do people use for representing asphalt road surfaces in 4mm scale?

I'm leaning towards a method I've read about using sheets of sandpaper cut to size, painted and then stuck in place. This appeals to me as I've got hard to access areas where a sheet could be prepared, glued and slid in nicely. Only problem is nobody ever mentions what grade of sandpaper or what type of paint (enamel, acrylic, poster paint etc...) should be used.

Any suggestions/alternatives please?

Have a look at the Virtual Missenden section on scenery.

https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/index.php/virtual-missenden-scenery/

Adrian

• Thanks 1

The big problem with sheets of sandpaper is the joins always show. I have used 340 grit for a coarse gravel path but tarmac is much smoother so would need 600 or 800 grit for a scale roughness. If this is then painted or treated in some way the grit is filled and you might as well have not used it anyway. Plain MDF has quite a good texture in its own right and works quite well. It can need sanding after a first coat of paint as it actually has too much texture.

Stu

• Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...