Triang / Hornby Dublo Screw Sizes.

This has probably been asked somewhere before. I have recently purchased a remagnatizer from Ron Dodd and cannot believe the difference this has made to my old triang motors and power bogies. This has given me the urge to spend the second lock down refurbishing my collection of 20 or so Triang units. The main problem after a few years in the spares box the main missing part is the screws, obviously borrowed at some stage for othere projects. I have seen the screws advertised on a well known spares site but only in small amounts. Does anyone have a list of what the different screw sizes were that Triang used then I can buy a decent amount.

Red One,

I don't know the exact size of the screws but I think it is odds on that they are BA (British Association) screw threads.  Meccano construction kits also used these threaded screws & nuts.  The thread sizes are numbered 1, 2. 3. upwards in a selection of lengths, though normally only even numbered screws up to about 12 or 14BA are used. The higher the number the smaller the screw size.  Besides Hornby, a lot of commercial electrical equipment used to use them.

Peter

Many of the service sheets are on the Lendons website. You may possibly be able to work it out from there.

But I would think most of them are BA of various sizes. But if you are looking for them, places like Lendons and Peters Spares usually sell them or newer versions.

http://www.lendonsmodelshop.co.uk/?button=button2&servicesheets=none

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

Most of the screws are 8 BA though some are other BA sizes. The common brass cheesehead that holds motors and pickups in place (amongst other things) is 8 BA with a taper on the tip to assist fitting in the hole. This is not essential unless you require originality.

The long body fixing screws are also BA, but here it's better to obtain an original spare IMHO. This also applies to crankpins and suchlike.

Meccano nuts and bolts are 5/32" Whitworth, though some very old ones and other screws are BA.

Hornby Dublo body fixing screws are usually Meccano parts or thread*, but other screws are BA. At a push, a 4MA screw can be persuaded to cut itself a thread in the body.  :secret:

* The hex nut used to secure the Duchess and A4 bodies are 5/32" Whitworth and a Meccano nut can be used if the original is missing. Replacements are not difficult to obtain but are usually expensive.

AFAIK the service sheets only quote the part number for screws and give no useful information as to size, thread, etc.

Edited by Il Grifone
Shift key held down (*) (Old age...).
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

At a push, a 4MA screw can be persuaded to cut itself a thread in the body.  :secret:

Giving rise to the prayer of thanks uttered by bodgers everywhere since time out of mind, "Thank goodness it's alloy and not metal". :D

• Like 1

In all fairness,BA,Metric and Whitworth taps are quite cheap to buy.I use RDG tools for for a lot of my model engineering tools these days and nuts and screws and bolts from Ebay.

Ray.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, PatB said:

Giving rise to the prayer of thanks uttered by bodgers everywhere since time out of mind, "Thank goodness it's alloy and not metal". :D

IIRC some of the mountings (Duchess? - I don't have one to hand to check  :(  ) are a steel strap, but just use a steel screw and go slowly, perhaps with a drop of oil. I even managed to reverse the procedure with my 'City of London'. Or buy the appropriate Meccano part - The 'Dublo' screw attracts a much higher price than the 'Meccano' one (obviously the same thing!). Part no. 111a ½" IIRC. Beware there are numerous variations.... (Again obviously, you need the fifties/sixties brass finish cheesehead. (Meccano screws are always bolts. The difference is in the use not the item itself.)

https://www.nzmeccano.com/111.php

Edited by Il Grifone

• 2 years later...

Good afternoon All. Further to the discussion beforehand regarding thread sizes employed by Hornby Dublo, BA being suggested, would anyone know what the thread size for the top adjustable motor bearing is on the Co-Bo locomotive? I thought it was 9/32 × 40tpi, but a tap of this size is slightly too big to clean the thread. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, sagaguy said:

It`s 9/32 x 40 ME,a model engineering size.This the Meccano drawing.The other smaller bearing is 5/32 x 40ME thread.

Ray.

27801550564_20dbffe768_c.jpg

Thank you very much Ray for your reply and information. Regards Steve