Hornby M7 post 2000

hallmodelspares

The older Hornby model of M7 had later on driving wheels which were shared with the Fairburn 2-6-4 tank when done from the ex triang model and released in painted southern olive and painted lined Br mixed traffic in around 1986-1988. My question is would the driving wheel on the m7 current production be the same size as the Fairburn 2-6-4 tank?

Edited by hallmodelspares

• RMweb Premium

The OP is going back to the days where generic parts were often used on several models, regardless of compromise with prototype dimensions. 2 inches off a driving wheel diameter would hardly have been considered by the Hornby  of those days.

Afraid I don't have the most recent Fowler 2 - 6 - 4T to compare against my current specification M7.

• RMweb Gold
On 13/11/2020 at 10:10, MikeParkin65 said:

Not sure I fully understand the question but in prototype terms the driving wheels of an M7 are 5ft 7inch diameter, all 3 types of LMS 2-6-4 tank are 5ft 9inch.

So 0.6mm difference in OO scale in diameter.

Probably more relevant is the number of spokes and the balance weights.

ive just pulled my two together, and as you see they are quite different.

image.jpg

without taking the wheels out to be exact, the M7 measures c22.4mm where as the 4p measures 23mm so would appear to be close, but definitely different.

5’7 being 22.3mm

5’9 being 23mm

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...

Good afternoon.

As this post is about M7 wheels I thought I would post this question:

I have noticed that the trailing driving wheels on my M7 have a slight wobble. The loco does not run very smoothly and I noticed the wobble when cleaning the wheels.

Is there a simple fix or should I order a new set of wheels ?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully received.