Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

Small but important slices of progress. 

Finishing off the landforms behind the station.

IMG_20211006_222319.jpg.48b75ebcc7101242b301995df065e7ef.jpg

Blending the edge of the yard into the field. There's a very good reason for the masking tape.

IMG_20211006_222310.jpg.4833ffd69076acadb4c11041afaa4429.jpg

I ended up with this after smoothing over with a wetted paintbrush.

IMG_20211006_222532.jpg.48ecb4bd397896254c681aa3a69ab158.jpg

The rectangular area for the hay shed and disinfectant store is a couple of layers of card. I didn't trust myself to get the plaster dead flat, plus it will save a bit of time.

I made a little bit of shuttering for the edge of the plaster where it meets the side of the still unfinished cattle dock. I'm not expecting to enjoy putting all those railings together!

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

47 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Sponsons, mmm.  I do like a nice pair of sponsons!

Those sponsons are over a hundred years old, do you really want to go there?

They'll be seriously droopy by now.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

For those who like a pair of sponsons. MK1 Male tank with steering 'helper' wheels.

Thanks Airfix, you are responsible for a lifetime addiction.

IMG_20211006_233438.jpg.e194e8772f6ff019dbd96e792f3042e3.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 9

At some point, I will get around to weathering that tank. In the meantime, the varnish in the mill leat has set and the plank has been permanently fitted over the weir.

When I say "wier" I actually mean "baseboard construction b#lls up". 

IMG_20211006_233550.jpg.a9810659348e03255618fc6311a05913.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Nice work on the wriggly tin Rob, and the cobblestones look good too.

I only learnt recently that the Mark1 Tanks came in Male and Female versions, you could tell the difference by the shape of their sponsons...

:triniti:

Oops...

Al.

....and don't forget the later MkIV came in a Hermaphrodite version....just to mix things up so to speak! :D

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

At some point, I will get around to weathering that tank. In the meantime, the varnish in the mill leat has set and the plank has been permanently fitted over the weir.

When I say "wier" I actually mean "baseboard construction b#lls up". 

IMG_20211006_233550.jpg.2e2737caf2f2d2cbfff16652c3b12eca.jpg

Please sir, what's your handling of the front edge of the baseboard, where the leat cascades into the void? I'm prompted to ask, as I have an unbridled sea front on my own construction that requires a solution.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Only because we've run out of buses in Stagecoach livery.

Don't worry, three will turn up, half an hour late, just after you've given up waiting for them and decided to walk...

• Funny 3

On 07/10/2021 at 02:50, aardvark said:

Please sir, what's your handling of the front edge of the baseboard, where the leat cascades into the void? I'm prompted to ask, as I have an unbridled sea front on my own construction that requires a solution.

It's a bit of a bodge really, based on the idea that there's not a massive amount of liquid to hold back.

IMG_20211007_133659.jpg.60a30379f8bb2b9cd79b8caa2b812de2.jpg

Just a couple of strips of two inch masking tape.

If I was going for any real depth (or width) I cut a strip of plywood big enough to overlap the whole area and cover it in electrical tape, wrapping it over the top edge as well. This would act as a non stick 'gasket', this would then be screwed or clamped to the baseboard edge, with its top edge at the level of your water. Use a spirit level to get it bang on. 

Once everything has set, you should be able to remove the wood / tape dam and leave the resin / varnish in situ. 

Alternatively, fit a length of clear perspex in the same position as a permanent dam and edge protector.

Hope that helps. If it doesn't.....

This conversation never took place. ;)

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

12 hours ago, Andy WD said:

....and don't forget the later MkIV came in a Hermaphrodite version....just to mix things up so to speak! :D

Nowadays that definition would undoubtedly guarantee a job in local government or other public sector position at the cessation of hostilities, whilst everyone else returns to "A land fit for heroes". :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Don't forget that with varnish / resin or whatever your chosen method of replicating water, the setting time increases with depth. 

Although there's only four teaspoons of varnish in the mill leat, which is only 30mm wide, (Not 40mm as previously stated.)  is still at a rubbery state. Hence why the tape is still in place. There's no guarantee that it isn't still semi liquid beneath!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

It levelled out okay, with a little bit of pushing into corners. There's a little bit of a meniscus visible on the mill leat, but only if you look closely. The river,being surrounded by rocks and irregular banks doesn't allow that to happen.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

The 1957 Norton is gone, a lucky find amongst the bits was a tax disc holder with two discs in it for 1969 and 1970 that match the number plate, so the new owner can retain the original registration and find at least some of the history of the bike.

The new owner brought his wife along for the trip and she was suitably impressed that he hadn't bought another box of bits. Although it wants a total rebuild, all the right bits are there. 

And we think that we railway modellers have a hard time smuggling in a new loco? 

So now I am making an early start on trying to make the sleepers look less like uniformly brown bits of plastic.

I don't have an airbrush so this may drag on a bit. 

I need to do it now and get the ballast down while I can still get at it easily.

I've made a start:

IMG_20211007_155509.jpg.6dfcbc1704b0f19ea7bfdff8b3392d09.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

It's a lot less off topic than some things have been! A gratuitous shot of a Yamaha is more than welcome. I actually passed my test on a Yamaha, the authorities weren't going to let me take a test on my own bike, a BSA 650  old style cafe racer with clip on bars, rearset footrests and open megaphone exhausts. 

Probably just as well!

• Like 3

Speaking of scruffy Herberts on old British bikes, Miss R has been adding to her cultural education by watching about three hours of Kenny Everett last night, it was the next chronological step from her Monty python interests. She's  never seen him before and I thought she was going to laugh herself to death.

Her conclusions were that if I grew up watching that, no wonder I am a bit warped. Also she says that I am Sid Snot's secret love child...

To which I answered "How come I didn't inherit his Vincent Black Shadow then?"

Life is so unfair at times...

tumblr_ovb2deNSvI1vqtwz2o1_1280.jpg.a672749d533dc10b61af80e9790bee0f.jpg

Kenny Everett.org

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 1
  • Funny 6

Back to railways, or at least miniature homages to the same.

I have been frantically mixing, 64 grey, 110 natural wood and a bit of sleeper grime (actually the now awkward to find 173.) and working all over the layout to make sure that I don't get two dozen sleepers of all the same colour.

The ends of the sidings have had the heaviest amount of grey and here and there I have added the odd newish sleeper. I've made myself stop now before I overdo it and end up with striped track.

I then overbrushed most of it with a dry brush carrying an equal mix of everything.

Once the ballast is down, I can odd oil and grease where necessary and general weathering of the ballast.

I am not looking forward to point rodding. I think that I need to draw out my ideas and post them on here for your approval / ridicule.

IMG_20211007_165724.jpg.3d02b0a05cd13456bc2279a3f12a91ee.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

I've also realised that I have dropped a billhook here, by getting carried away with the landscaping, I haven't quite left enough room for the water tank.

The original plan was to have it over the other side of the tracks because I pinched the track plan from Shipston on Stour, complete with loco shed.

It looks like a bit of excavation is called for.

IMG_20211007_165739.jpg.429e8666029437e102aedda815d0196c.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Graham T said:

Did you find that it self levels?  I assume that it did.

just place the baeboard on a sloping surface while it dries it will give you a good idea how self levelling it is.  :nono:

Don

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I've also realised that I have dropped a billhook here, by getting carried away with the landscaping, I haven't quite left enough room for the water tank.

The original plan was to have it over the other side of the tracks because I pinched the track plan from Shipston on Stour, complete with loco shed.

It looks like a bit of excavation is called for.

IMG_20211007_165739.jpg.458040688045679b5ffac4b50c8b14bc.jpg

I find that digging out great chunks of the layout that I thought I'd completed is all part of the fun :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1