Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

You have let the thread and yourself down.  I strongly suggest you take a long, hard look at yourself. 

Rob. 

Sorry ! 

Moving along quickly, (Although still sheep related.) I have been able to complete the cobbled area where the temporary sheep pens are assembled.

I've trimmed the sheets to fit and stuck them down with some strong but whiffy contact adhesive. 

It will now require a good deal of paint, washes, dry brushing and general profanity to transform it into a different kind of open space. 

It looks a bit weird at the moment...

IMG_20211005_191416.jpg.7e1127eaef498c58079aaad226ef684a.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

8 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Cobblers!

I'm quite certain that the word cobblers will be used alongside slightly less PG rated profanity before I am happy with it.

The spare room no longer stinks like a meth lab, so I have dodged the doghouse at least.

Time to stink up the place again with half a tin of Humbrol number 64.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, bgman said:

When wearing your wellies you put their back legs in the wellies and grab their ...... ooops ! Far too much information :o

If you have ever had a fat ewe tread on your foot you wouldn't fancy having your foot sharing a welly with a sheeps foot. Well perhaps its just me that has never been that desperate.

The last time I grappled with one was to get a waterlooged ewe out of the leat. I had no faith in the Sheep badger being bothered to come out even if I had known who to contact.

Don

• Like 4

I always remember the  greeting banter between a Welsh friend and one of his mates from London down at  Beauieu autojumble:

"All right Bry, still sg"*ging sheep are we?"

"Oh yes, we're still sh**ging them and you're still eating them."

He was also known to point out that only English sheep worriers used wellies, the Welsh always tip them on their backs. Otherwise, how could you kiss them?

I had enough of loading the awkward heavy by**ers into a trailer, never mind anything else and as you say, if one stands on your foot, it's not good at all.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

I decided to make the first coat of granite grey with Humbol 140, it's a darker bluish grey, somewhere between 64 & 67 shades. 

Also I had a part tin that was starting to get gloopy.

IMG_20211006_000127.jpg.dd239978e23f1e29a5810e5e573351d2.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Another example of the layout starting to come alive, Rob. 

Fab. 

Rob. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

On 06/10/2021 at 01:02, Stubby47 said:

I'd have been tempted to smear the whole lot with a thin coat of household filler first, leaving just the tops of the cobbles showing.

I'd got that down as step two. I thought that a muddy plaster and paint mix would have a better chance of sticking to a matt painted surface.

IMG_20211006_032234.jpg.1f384a82dc655ac85d60fdf15072a66f.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

6 hours ago, Regularity said:

How do you know what a meth lab smells like?

Same as I know what a weed farm smells like. I've lived in some cr4ppy areas in my time. 

Of course, if we had coppers walking round, they might be able to smell it too. 

I always thought that the Ukrainians had a far better approach to such problems than us. :butcher:

• Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Old fashioned road cobbles barely pass the bike test even at 304.8mm/ft, believe me! :fie:

Just make sure all your ( bike ) nuts are tightened up ! 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

57 minutes ago, bgman said:

Just make sure all your ( bike ) nuts are tightened up ! 

I have to check the QD wheel nuts on my racer every time I use it. Other nuts are kept safely in a bag...

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

As a break from cobbling things together and makeovers for sheep, I found that I needed a rusty corrugated iron fix. I'm sure that @Alister_Gwill understand, even if no-one else does.

IMG_20211006_201519.jpg.528c493e6f46abd8cac57577ea48ab5c.jpg

Matt black, followed by sleeper grime, humbrol 70 rust, Railmatch dark rust and a little diluted humbrol 46 orange. It seems to work okay but don't overdo it with the orange.

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 18
  • Agree 1

Further dry brushing with lighter  grey and tan / leather to give the cobblestone a more flinty look.

Experimental Sheep 2, 3 & 4 wondering where the grass went.

IMG_20211006_204007.jpg.8c1de02218423da7c46d6ac25af08169.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice work on the wriggly tin Rob, and the cobblestones look good too.

8 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Just noticed the WW1 tank lurking in there - eh?!

I only learnt recently that the Mark1 Tanks came in Male and Female versions, you could tell the difference by the shape of their sponsons...

:triniti:

Oops...

Al.

• Funny 2