Modifying a Railroad Flying Scotsman in 1967 Condition, what is needed to be done?

Hullo,

I've had this Railroad Flying Scotsman for almost a year now, it was my first step into the world of British modelling, now I want to modify and detail it, the version of Scotsman I always liked the most was his 1967 condition (see second image) and I wanted to know what I should do to make him accurate to that era (apart from adding maybe the odd box things on his smokebox which I assume is for the smoke deflectors), I know he had the water tender around this time, would love tips on how to make one of them, as well as making a corridor in his tender (I've already dremeled out the coal load and intend on adding one) other things that could to be done to make him run/look better would also help (not counting DCC or weathering I was already intending on doing that.)

Cheers, 

Patrick

20201121_122728.jpg

3795075198_1bfa078be4_b.jpg

Edited by ForeverAutumn
  • Like 1

" box things" are the A3 superheaters ( try Precision Paints for castings). The loco is now left hand drive so the pipe on the right side moves to the left as does the reversing lever. It will also need a banjo dome and modifications to the cab door area. I have not seen one but perhaps someone can point you to a photo of the top of the water tender. The ancient Triang Scotsman had the corridor tender and this might be a good starting point. The important thing is to enjoy the learning journey!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, doilum said:

" box things" are the A3 superheaters ( try Precision Paints for castings). The loco is now left hand drive so the pipe on the right side moves to the left as does the reversing lever. It will also need a banjo dome and modifications to the cab door area. I have not seen one but perhaps someone can point you to a photo of the top of the water tender. The ancient Triang Scotsman had the corridor tender and this might be a good starting point. The important thing is to enjoy the learning journey!

It'll definitely be a learning experience! thank you for the helpful information. as for the water tender I found the closest picture I coul get and it doesn't seem too hard all that it will need is some card to cover the top then then to make a wall around the existing water cap.

1969-historical-a-man-sitting-on-a-grassbank-by-a-railway-track-watches-as-the-iconic-steam-locomotive-the-flying-scotsman-goes-past-T4TGBE.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The additional water supply tender is in fact (as you probably know) a standard LNER 8-wheel pacific corridor tender; I am not even sure that the coal space was converted to be part of the water tank or simply left as a void.  So far as I can see the only real problem is getting the roof profile correct, and in order to maintain this in a structurally rigid way you will need to provide transversely mounted formers to hold the roof in place.  Blowing up the photo of FS in the cutting (Leeds?) shows seams where the formers are placed on the prototype. and some handrail detail as well.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, The Johnster said:

The additional water supply tender is in fact (as you probably know) a standard LNER 8-wheel pacific corridor tender with a steel sheet cover profiled to match the loco tender and cab roof.  Note that this profile is not the same as the roof profile of the mk1 coaches in the train.  I am not even sure that the coal space was converted to be part of the water tank or simply left as a void.  So far as I can see the only real problem is getting the roof profile correct, and in order to maintain this in a structurally rigid way you will need to provide transversely mounted formers to hold the roof in place.  Blowing up the photo of FS in the cutting (Leeds?) shows seams where the formers are placed on the prototype. and some handrail detail as well.  These can probably be represented on your model by thin wire.

Hi,

By seam line I assume the one that runs along the top of the boiler. If it is you have to gently sand it away. This Triang Hall had quite a pronounced seam running along the top of the boiler. But with some gentle sanding I removed it. Sorry I do not have any better shots.

black hall 4.jpg

black hall 7.jpg

black hall 8.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, ForeverAutumn said:

Now did FS have a different livery in this time period? At the moment I am looking for a good colour to use, 

Also a good time to ask but is there any way to get rid of the nasty seam line on Scotsman?

People think it's a mould line, it's not, it should be there.

Obviously not on the smokebox and chimney/dome/etc. But it's the gap in the plates that make up the cladding. 

It's difficult to see properly as you are normally ground level. But clearly visible here.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/19/flying-scotsman-restoration-nearing-completion

Jason

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

People think it's a mould line, it's not, it should be there.

Obviously not on the smokebox and chimney/dome/etc. But it's the gap in the plates that make up the cladding. 

It's difficult to see properly as you are normally ground level. But clearly visible here.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/19/flying-scotsman-restoration-nearing-completion

Jason

Interesting, I never knew that,

I should have been more clear just to double check we're referring to the same line have this poorly lit photo:

20201122_123823.jpg

18 minutes ago, ForeverAutumn said:

Interesting, I never knew that,

I should have been more clear just to double check we're referring to the same line have this poorly lit photo:

20201122_123823.jpg

In 7mm there is a line of two or three dozen rivets to drill and fit!

Very good to know then, that'll save some work.

Now I recall it being said that the long pipe needed to be moved to the left side, I doubt I'll be able to move a tiny plastic line from one end to the other, are there any spares of the boiler pipe or any manufactured ones someone could point me to? 

19 minutes ago, ForeverAutumn said:

Very good to know then, that'll save some work.

Now I recall it being said that the long pipe needed to be moved to the left side, I doubt I'll be able to move a tiny plastic line from one end to the other, are there any spares of the boiler pipe or any manufactured ones someone could point me to? 

Doubt it. Come down to the crossroads and dabble in the black art of scratch building! Most model shops have display racks of brass and plastic tubes, strips and sections. These can also be obtained from suppliers like Eileen's Emporium. This is a good starting task using the old pipe as a reference to drill locating holes on the other side before scraping/ chiseling it off and making good. In 4mm you could use solid round rod for the replacement but tube is easier to drill for the mounting pins. You will need to represent the elbow where it enters the smokebox using solder or epoxy filler carefully filed to shape.

• Informative/Useful 1

I don't know how often they crop up second-hand, but Hornby has produced the second tender a few times - I certainly recall it showing up in the early 90s in both apple green and BR blue and grey variants, and more recently as part of the American train pack. It's also been produced as running with Bittern.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
On 26/11/2020 at 13:02, Going Spare said:

If you need a fall-back for the boiler steam pipe, check out part L7358 from the UK-made A1/A3 at Peters Spares. 

Sorry! got caught with work and forgot update this thread. happy new year.

unfortunately Peter's Spares isn't an option, the international shipping price is beyond what I would call reasonable.
Patrick