Surprisingly though a number did survive in general service into the early 1950s. I have a vague feeling that I have seen a Roye England photo somewhere that showed one with a Wxxxxx number. There were certainly several in departmental use that acquired DWxxxxxx numbers.

There's a photo of an in service iron mink in early BR livery in the book 'All About Iron Minks' published by HMRS. It is an absorbed Rhymney wagon - different to the GWR design (6" longer for a start). I'm afraid that's the only photo I could find.

In the chapter about 'standard' iron Minks, they list the history of a few examples with a couple or so lasting to early 50s before being taken out of revenue earning service - these ones may not have even got BR livery. If you want the numbers to use, let me know.

Will

10 hours ago, WillCav said:

There's a photo of an in service iron mink in early BR livery in the book 'All About Iron Minks' published by HMRS. It is an absorbed Rhymney wagon - different to the GWR design (6" longer for a start). 

What were the build dates for the Rhymney and other South Walian minks? I'm suspecting they may be younger than the Great Western ones, hand in hand with the vogue for Iron Mink-esque gunpowder vans c. 1904-8. (Possibly in response to an RCH specification?)

Edited by Compound2632
11 hours ago, WillCav said:

.......with a couple or so lasting to early 50s before being taken out of revenue earning service - these ones may not have even got BR livery. 

There was an internal user which stood at Banbury for many years. I was aware of different paint colours as it rusted away and think it had a coat of lighter grey over the standard GWR grey.

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

What were the build dates for the Rhymney and other South Walian minks? I'm suspecting they may be younger than the Great Western ones, hand in hand with the vogue for Iron Mink-esque gunpowder vans c. 1904-8. (Possibly in response to an RCH specification?)

The Rhymney iron Minks were ordered 1912 (50 from Cravens). They were 16'6" and a right hand version of DC brakes. 100993 in 1949 had wooden doors and self contained buffers.

Will

• Informative/Useful 1

The Rhymney ones were in two groups: the ex-Spillers ones built in 1906 and two batches from Cravens in 1912 and 1913.

Of the Cravens ones there is a record of one lasting until 1952 and two to 1950, while one lasted until 1961 as a sawdust van, but I do not have complete records to hand. Of the Harrison & Camm ones (ex Spillers and GWR), one lasted until 1951, 2 to 1952, 1 to 1953 and 1 to 1954.

The Barry Railway owned 730 Iron Minks at the Grouping. The first batch was from Turner in 1904 with more from Cravens in 1905  I do not have dates to hand but the WRRC book of Barry drawings states that most of the first two batches were withdrawn after 1947. The next batch was from the Midland Wagon Co in 1912, again many lasting until after Nationalisation. More were obtained from S J Claye in 1913 and Metropolitan in 1914.

The Cambrian was still building 6 ton wooden vans a few years before the Grouping.

I don't have records for the other South Wales companies, though there are lists compiled from GWR registers by Harold Morgan which give withdrawal dates if pre Nationalisation.

So yes, they were younger than the GWR ones and quite a few lasted for a few years after Nationalisation.

But none of these were identical to the GWR examples.

Jonathan

• Informative/Useful 1

@corneliuslundie, much as I suspected. I think one is really straining credulity for a genuine 19th-century GWR V6 still in ordinary traffic after nationalisation. I should think the chance of genuine BR grey livery is next to nil. 

Scrutiny of the GW wagon registers will reveal actual withdrawal dates. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

Although sand vans are specifically  excluded from Garethp8873's original question, apologies in advance but I just had to mention that by pure coincidence I'm in the process of painting a Ratio kit I've had for about 4 years to represent such a thing right now, having spotted DW59370 (last digit not confirmed) in an early 60s photo of D837 Ramillies inside Bristol Bath Road depot which appears in a couple of books (Book of/Power of the Warships). Just the thing for my proposed 1962-5 WR diesel depot layout, it'll give the shunters something to play with in addition to the fuel tankers.