Tales from the shed - a HOf micro

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Having repeatedly stated that there would be no further layouts, it might be somewhat odd to create a short tale about another layout but the discovery of a RUB 64ltr container and appropriate piece of ply has prompted this post.

The other little trigger was an excellent offer for a Busch Feldbahn set which features a lovely diesel with outside cranks and three Vee tippers. James Hilton did much the same in a slightly smaller space but an image of a bridge on the Nassauische Kleinbahn and its similarity to the Wills SS28 was the clincher.

In such a small space detail rather than quantity is paramount, just one anonymous building  and an embankment acting as a view blocker will complete the scene.

All that we need is postie to deliver the start set and I will keep you posted.

Stay safe and the seasons greetings to all.

E2C5B04E-8783-4B02-A005-B716609A2D22.png.7d4fae9536406554418a6487eefb3b2d.pngF8A9F2E7-B7CB-4D96-82EE-CEE7AF105FE2.png.d7ad729a1244cd067ae801e8dfbc1976.png

Edited by Jack Benson
Link inserted

Guest Jack Benson
1 hour ago, ManofKent said:

About 2ft by 1ft? Sounds a great challenge. Are you squeezing a siding in?

Hi,

It is just a ‘proof of concept’ exercise, just an oval as part of a minute diorama that can be easily transported with no need for any other support gubbins. Not even a power supply, the layout runs on two rechargeable AA.

Stay safe

7 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi,

It is just a ‘proof of concept’ exercise, just an oval as part of a minute diorama that can be easily transported with no need for any other support gubbins. Not even a power supply, the layout runs on two rechargeable AA.

Stay safe

Sounds great.

Where are you going geographically with the diorama? 

Regards,

Richard

Guest Jack Benson

Richard,

Although German in origin, the stock and bridge are somewhat ubiquitous and it will be small details that will place the location. There will be a road on the embankment, maybe ring the changes with the nationality of the road vehicle? 

Cheers and Stay Safe

Edited by Jack Benson
Text update

Guest Jack Benson

Ordered on 6th December, delivered 10th December from Euro Tecnica GmbH in Hellenthal Losheim!

Busch-Feldbahn_400.jpg.cc563f19987de151b40e310b5525b47d.jpg

12006_400.jpg.9549431c78063c6e929f50c865bc9a42.jpg

The packaging quotes a space of just 375 x 265mm is required for the oval, which is useful as baseboard is 605 X 370 mm

RM_DB_400.jpg.aae7bf615b939bbb6b8b380af7fa4be6.jpg

The Peco guide to modelling German railways contains a useful article by Jean Buchmann on the practical aspects of Busch Feldbahn.

At this rate, the layout might be up and running by Christmas!

Cheers and Stay Safe

Guest Jack Benson

A simple plan is beginning to take shape, the starter set oval will be increased to just 441.6 x 265 mm which should be easily accomodated on the 605 x 370mm  board.

As suggested the bridge scene will be recreated using the Wills SS28 and an embankment that will run the length of the layout with another similar bridge scene at the other end.  The embankment also acts as a view blocker, a trick learnt from the Carl Arendt website there will no other structures on the layout except the tiny stone hut that is being overwhelmed by brambles.

Hut1.jpg.6eaf8d80aa67fb0997bd139adf2358af.jpg

The nice overbridge kit for the embankment, is intentionally small, the main dimensions are 50mm wide and 40mm high and the track will hopefully pass through not over the bridge.

Cattle_Creep2_800.jpg.328986ae5851867f21ba0b02246a5be8.jpg

In the foreground, rather than the usual contrived mess of details, a simple bit of rough ground with bracken, brambles and wind-stunted trees.

bodmin1.jpg.4d38c607903764c6d606a65983384fe2.jpg

Cheers and Stay Safe

Guest Jack Benson

Finally,

Rather than upload images of unknown provenance, a short blog has been created that provides a bit more background, it isn't about German railways despite the banner.

Instead, we are keeping very much within Dorset and taking a look at the Purbeck clay lines as remembered at the end of the lives in the late 60s.  Click here for Purbeck Clay

Thank you and stay safe

Looks a great project. I keep toying with a small layout/diorama representing a section of the Davington Light Railway (Gunpowder rather than clay). I shall follow your progress with interest . Industrial standard gauge layouts have increased in popularity over the years but you don't see many industrial narrow gauge set ups in the UK.

Edited by ManofKent

Guest Jack Benson
15 hours ago, ManofKent said:

Looks a great project. I keep toying with a small layout/diorama representing a section of the Davington Light Railway (Gunpowder rather than clay). I shall follow your progress with interest . Industrial standard gauge layouts have increased in popularity over the years but you don't see many industrial narrow gauge set ups in the UK.

Hi,

The diorama is very much a lock down project driven by the arrival of a Busch start set (great idea) and a sabbatical on Beaminster Road. Adolescent trips fifty years ago (with bicycle*) to Corfe by Thumper from Bournemouth started the interest in the remains of the ball clay network and it will be a challenge to create the scenery associated with Norden. 

*Out by Thumper, return by bicycle, I must have been fit. 

Cheers and Stay Safe

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

All the bits have pitched up and ready to start laying track. One suggestion is to use 5mm screws (not available in rural Dorset) another idea was non-solvent No Nails (I have a fresh tube) or thick PVA and finally carpet layer's double sided tape (I have a fresh roll)

No doubt, the unavailable screws are the 'best method but any comment is welcome.

Ballasting with chinchilla dust and diluted pva followed by weathering - is this best?

Thank you

• RMweb Premium

I held my track in place with track pins, then glued it down using drops superglue. Once set I took the pins out and ballasted it with tiny chippings stuck with Deluxe Materials Ballast Bond - this is like pva but sets quicker and the bottle it comes in has a long, flexible and controlable nozzle (don’t use their Ballast Magic power which you mix with the ballast).  Spend a lot of time getting the ballast exactly as you want it before applying the glue as it is very hard to remove afterwards and you could damage the track.

E0B390D7-9B08-4670-902E-C5E55176F6A5.jpeg.94f04fe9becadd2a763353a9def318f4.jpeg

• Like 1

Guest Jack Benson

Tracklaying

The HOf 6,5mm gauge track is tiny and easily damaged, extreme care together with extra strong spectacles were needed. Thankfully the track is made in rigid sections and a slight jiggle with the tip of a scapel opened the rail joiner but the section was very carefully pushed home using a pair of micro-pliers.

Under one of the long straights there is a 4mm hole for the electrical feed to the track. 

IMG_0249_800.jpg.84066b18af1da0306fd46c4a33740e48.jpg

The track was stuck down on a tin bead of UHU clear, a layer of suitable books were applied and will be ballasted with Chinchilla dust and dilute PVA

Chinchilla1.jpg.65671157e6646127e3e3040f6fa947ba.jpg

Control

The start set is designed to operate with a simple battery pack with a left/off/right switch, an upgrade is a Gaugemaster W handheld powered by a variable output wallwart set to just 6VAC. A small electronic box will accomodate a 5-pin din socket for the handheld, a 2-pin din socket for the VAC input and two sockets for the power leads from the track.

Box1.jpg.088f34581a68389e2e6d35dd52c2d495.jpg

gaugemaster_W.jpg.7fedc2a2fcd14d5108e6401d0c2ae56b.jpg