BR Class 140 dmu

I have searched RMWeb for information on the 2 car Class 140 dmu, the last of the railbus prototypes. 

I have an old MTK kit of this unit and wondered, before I start, if anyone had built one and might be able to offer any hints or tips.

The body looks fairly reasonable, but the underframe looks a bit 'chunky'. Would a Hornby Class 142 Pacer be a better chassis?

Any help would be appreciated.

• RMweb Premium

I don't know about precise accuracy to the 140 but for my 141 the plan is to use a Realtrack 143/144 chassis. The Hornby 142 one has been used by plenty of others for all sorts of Railbus, LEV, etc models (see @Gibbo675's thread for one example) so I imagine it would work perfectly fine. Probably less chunky than the one from the kit, but chunkier than the Realtrack one. Also less expensive than the Realtrack one! 

Having built the 141 body from 142 parts, I might be tempted to explore replacing the sides from the kit with Hornby parts and just using the ends, depending on the quality of the castings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Folks,

Here are my LEV models for those that are interested. The run on Hornby chassis that have bee chopped about to suit although they ae not strictly accurate they are near enough,I might finish them off one day !

DSCF0882.JPG.29c823adb4ff1f43913a54cb22e1a2e3.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 6

Ah yes, I was going to use the High Level replacement motor and gearbox, same as I have done on my Bristol Railbus. I was on about using the plastic chassis part as the moulded detail isn't quite as 'chunky' as the MTK white metal sides. I just wasn't sure if this is possible and if anyone had tried it before I spent money on getting some Hornby chassis.