Building your own Antikythera Mechanism

It's Model Engineering, but not as we know it (Jim)

A great series of videos from "Clickspring". There might not be a model railway in sight, but folks might enjoy a masterpiece of model engineering, from raw materials to a finished working product.

Remember, this was a working mechanical computer, nearly 2,000 years before Charles Babbage started to try to build his Differential Engine (another mechanical computer).

A video series documenting the reconstruction of The Antikythera Mechanism in its most authentic form to date, with the intention of establishing the precise machining tools, techniques and technology used to create it.

Intro

Part 1

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Very glad you liked it.

I'm not easily impressed, but I have to confess I'm in awe at the skill involved in making a working copy. Not just the science and engineering, but the level of craftmanship is off the scale. Like making the rivets such perfectly flush joints you can hardly see them, even when you know they are there!

I wonder if there's a way to contact Clickspring and suggest he starts making a kit for people to assemble themselves?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Very glad you liked it.

I'm not easily impressed, but I have to confess I'm in awe at the skill involved in making a working copy. Not just the science and engineering, but the level of craftmanship is off the scale. Like making the rivets such perfectly flush joints you can hardly see them, even when you know they are there!

I wonder if there's a way to contact Clickspring and suggest he starts making a kit for people to assemble themselves?

Actually he's been doing this for some years and he actually isn't finished yet as the research is on going. This is quite an international research programme.

Clickspring would say this is Horology rather than model engineering.

His home is in Australia and my impression is he doesn't want to be contacted.

On 16/12/2020 at 12:49, meil said:

His home is in Australia and my impression is he doesn't want to be contacted.

Err, maybe he's changed his attitude?

His ClickSpring Projects website invites people to contact him.

Leave a message for Chris.

Please feel free to drop me a line via the blog site comments, the postal address or by using this form.
If you have any questions, or maybe an idea for a new video that you'd like to see, let me know.

http://www.clickspringprojects.com/contact.html

ClickSpring has just published Video #10 in his very wonderful series of videos on reconstructing a working version of The Antikythera Mechanism

Episode 10 - Evidence Of A Lunar Calendar

He kindly includes links to the work of others

Hi Folks, you may be aware that there has been some research in the works for the last couple of years. I'm pleased to announce that it has now been published, do please enjoy:
https://bhi.co.uk/antikytheramechanism/

I recommend it to the house. I'm hoping to set aside a small workshop space in the garage. Where I can happily try and fail to produce anything as technically marvellous.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1