Little lockdown layout

shanks522

I'm all good fella, 

Does that mean this could be one of them layouts you will put too one side and hope SWMBO will forget about you building it 

Take care 

Phil 

Edited by porkie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GWRPhil said:

That begs the question. How many do exist?

hi Phil, 

At the moment it stands at 4, there’s this one which I may sell???
Stanley Bridge and the Kato circular/ test track which are stored at my parents, A 00 layout, Aylestone Depot which is with me and hopefully will be incorporated into a new loft layout. 
Then one more..... I’ve had a dabble in T gauge, worked away for a while and built a little something to keep me occupied, something I must complete and sell. 

Cheers

Graham 

Edited by shanks522
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, shanks522 said:

hi Phil, 

At the moment it stands at 4, there’s this one which I may sell???
Stanley Bridge and the Kato circular/ test track which are stored at my parents, A 00 layout, Aylestone Depot which is with me and hopefully will be incorporated into a new loft layout. 
Then one more..... I’ve had a dabble in T gauge, worked away for a while and built a little something to keep me occupied, something I must complete and sell. 

Cheers

Graham 

A good collection you’ve got there. It’s great to follow your layouts progress. Thank you

• Like 1

Hello all, 

Treated myself to a new 31 for the NSE era stock, also let the MK2s stretch there legs, if anyone knows where I can get some more TSOs please let me know. 

layout news, the point at the front of the layout is being a bit unpredictable and causing a few issues, think I need to replace it before I continue. 

cheers

Graham 

• Like 3

Hello all, 

Depot is now glued down and bedded in place, I’ve added a cripple siding at the front of the shed, had a set track point in the tool box which I think Has been in there for at least 10 years so rude not to use it. 

I want the siding to be overgrown so laid a little ballast and made a start with the greenery. 

00219530-7C83-49EC-9093-9D6E7276360D.jpeg.7edb2c7359acaef864f83fbc6746f80a.jpeg

803E9512-B91B-4926-BDEC-C57FA9AE38DD.jpeg.0fb3f11e744e681dccc36003f669610c.jpeg

undecided what to do with the kickback road, maybe fuel, loco wash, or just storage?  Who knows. 

Graham. 

• Like 4

Hello all, 

ballasting made it look a little better but think now the airbrush has been let loose we’re on to a winner. 

3CE9F769-8613-4930-8ACC-0E1AE82162ED.jpeg.94ad7e90dddff03a2d28b29f50b3df35.jpeg

26BD06ED-4DCF-4996-A97C-5A21B6A9A9B9.jpeg.2270ddef13fee347dafd5241dd6f1f75.jpeg

62AAFE6A-2DF7-4CEE-A38D-741E0B0E951F.jpeg.485cecd3d00ab2d72fe8395a65f9d931.jpeg

I forgot to add a couple of dropper wires which was rectified before I sprayed the track, once she’s dry I’ll have to do some all important testing! 

Graham 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, shreives said:

That looks really good Graham. 

What mixture paint did you use? 

Stuart 

Evening bruv, 

just browns and greys till I got what I was after, little bit of trial and error, did the whole area with three passes, general brown/grime, grey/black then another lighter brown to finish. Hasn’t come out too bad, i think it’ll need some more here and there, oil spills etc once I’ve added more details. 

Need to get your airbrush out and start practicing! 

Graham 

• Like 2

Hello all, 

I recently sent off one of my 08s for some work to be done, as you can see below, a transformation! 

F3FE7CDB-5995-4533-B95F-AD2E70A1A645.jpeg.aaf47875ed9b4982c692f1173dd6768d.jpeg

I am so pleased with it, sound in N is great but I never expected anyone to get it in an 08, Paul Hickman did the work and what a fantastic job he’s done! 

dug out a 60 as well and have just enjoyed half an hour of locos ticking over in the depot, this may slow progress down..... 

60D5F169-F384-4A12-8DEC-89BFD4538120.jpeg.49b44f0879ce3706eac8355914caac31.jpeg

cheers

Graham 

• Like 3

Hello all, 

I had a little play the weekend, gave a few locos a good run that haven’t been out for a while, also changed the couplers on my revolutioN TEAs to the magnetic ones from Hunt couplings, I really am impressed with them and will probably change all my block trains over to them. 

New point has arrived so I need to remove the troublesome one and replace. 

9930F91C-2EEE-4BBF-8FE8-1056466809A7.jpeg.a6fe6d80d6afbd3f1ff99599d456a0e1.jpeg

Graham 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Very nice. The joy of N gauge - so much you can do in so little space and with relatively little time :)

What did you use for ballast? I went with WS extra fine but it's turned out a bit too dark and close-up photos suggest the grains are a bit too large.

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AndrueC said:

What did you use for ballast? I went with WS extra fine but it's turned out a bit too dark and close-up photos suggest the grains are a bit too large.

Hi, 

I've used Woodland Scenics fine grey, Hasn't come out too bad, plus the weathering helps disguise it all. 

Cheers

Graham. 

• RMweb Gold

Ah. Double checking my order it turns out that I bought extra fine dark grey. I think it was probably because I knew I wanted extra fine and dark grey was the only option I could find. Mine is okay but the sleepers don't 'pop' and I have to keep the ballast just below the top edge of the sleepers to ensure there's a shadow to help pick them out. Otherwise it looks like my rails are just embedded in gravel.

Too late to change now but for my next layout I might consider ballast underlay. If I go with proper ballast it'll have to be something more like sand coloured.

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, AndrueC said:Mine is okay but the sleepers don't 'pop' and I have to keep the ballast just below the top edge of the sleepers to ensure there's a shadow to help pick them out. Otherwise it looks like my rails are just embedded in gravel.

I think it all depends how it’s laid, personally I spread around with a spoon and brush etc then once I’m reasonably happy I tap the rails with the back of the teaspoon, effectively tamping the track work, I find this way the ballast finds all the nooks and crannys and also drops just below the sleeper level. 

cheers

Graham 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, GWRPhil said:

Great videos

any updates?

phil

hi Phil, 

nothing special to update, been busy decorating and remodelling the house, I’ve done a little work to the town scene and made some more retaining walls but that’s it. What time I have had has been spent changing bulk rakes to hunt couplings, really impressed with them. 

Will post some more pics soon. 

cheers 

Graham 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, shanks522 said:

hi Phil, 

nothing special to update, been busy decorating and remodelling the house, I’ve done a little work to the town scene and made some more retaining walls but that’s it. What time I have had has been spent changing bulk rakes to hunt couplings, really impressed with them. 

Will post some more pics soon. 

cheers 

Graham 

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you’ve been busy. It’s a really nice little layout your building. 

not used the hunt coupling myself before. Will have to do some research on them.