Barry Railway Diagram 60 timber truck

Western Star

A layout based on the High Wycombe area in the pre-grouping era shall have timber traffic, probably trunks rather than boards so single bolster timber twins shall abound.  I have the Dragon Models kit for the BR dia. 60 wagon - anyone have photos or drawings of this prototype that they can share please?

thank you, Graham

• RMweb Premium

There is a drawing by Mike Lloyd in the WRRC book of Barry drawings (the book does not say Diagram 60 but the original drawing does). No photo though. 

There is a rather poor photo of a timber pair one numbered 52 which seems not to be the same design as the wheelbase looks like 7 ft, though as the Barry seems to have had only one design this is a bit of a puzzle. And certainly the number 52 was given in 1912 to an open wagon built by S J Claye. There was also a number 52 in the service wagons list but it was not a timber wagon and had dumb buffers and another in the coal wagon list.

The HMRS has no photo or drawing.

Jonathan

PS How about a pair of nice dumb buffered Mid Wales Railway wagons. There is a very good Metropolitan drawing in the HMRS collection. Easy to scratch build (I am shortly going to build a pair for our club's 7 mm BCR layout and have a pair on my EM Sarn layout.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 03/01/2021 at 10:37, Western Star said:

A layout based on the High Wycombe area in the pre-grouping era shall have timber traffic, probably trunks rather than boards so single bolster timber twins shall abound.  I have the Dragon Models kit for the BR dia. 60 wagon - anyone have photos or drawings of this prototype that they can share please?

thank you, Graham

Graham,

Your High Wycombe layout,

Is it pre or post Great Central to Marylebone, and does it have a thread?

Thank you.

OK I wrote High Wycombe as that is the town which was driven by furniture making in the late 19th / early 20th cneturies....  my interest lies a few miles to the west at West Wycombe.  The model is intended to be October 1910 for several reasons and two are:-

1/ I have copies of GWR WTT for that date;

2/ the GWR had just started to run Paddington - Birmingham direct.

As to the GCR, little is known at this time.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you.  It is the GWR at Wycombe I am interested in, not that I am going to model it.  I might, in the dim and distant future model Maidenhead, or at lest the platform that has the Wycombe branch, in 1895.