Help for Sign at level crossing with lamp at Broken Brea level crossing

Look at this image also http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/r/richmond/richmond_branch/index2.shtml .

I think you will find that this was merely a form of 'gate signal' to tell the driver of an approaching train whether the gates were closed across the road or open. The board was probably red on both sides. At right angles to the track, and probably showing a red light = gates open. Parallel to the track, and possibly showing a green light  - it's hard to tell = gates closed.

Given that in your image it is showing 'stop' despite the gate being across the road would suggest that it was worked by a separate lever (which the gate-keeper has replaced before walking to open the gates) rather than linked directly to the gates themselves (as was done on some railways).

• RMweb Gold

Simples.  It is an early top of stop signal some of which - like this one - could still be found into the 1960s in occasional locations.  In the position shown it iis exhibiting a red rectangulatr board towards any approaching train and the lamp will be showinga red light towards an approaching train - in either direction.  When the gates are closed and secured across the road the entire board is rotated through 90º and shows only its thin edge towards a train approaching the level crossing.  What is not clear from the photos I can find online is if the lamp showed a white light (more likely than green I would think) or any light at all when the post was rotated but it appears to have been the latter.

Judging by the photos on this site these type of signals were used at several level crossing which were not block  posts  on the Richmond branch -

http://disused-stations.org.uk/r/richmond/richmond_branch/index.shtml

Edited by The Stationmaster
Typo