Bachmann Class 66s erratic running

Hi fellow RMWEbbers.

I know this topic has been raised before but its a few years since and I am still having trouble with three locos from the early batches namely 66135 EWS, 66610 Freightliner and 66701 GBRf.  When new they all ran well but after 10 or more years stored in the loft I am trying to use them on my layout.  The running is to say the least very poor now.  66135 was the first to be interred and I decided to send it back to Bachmann for service. It came back the same so went back and they fitted a new motor.  It is better but still does not run like a sewing machine.

So, I ordered two new motors and 4 new drive shafts from Bachmann and did an exchange on 66610.  I also exchanged the Bachmann  36-553 chip for a Lenz Silver.  No improvement.

I have soldered all of the wires to the main pcb and removed all of the capacitors from the motor.

Running is erratic with what appears to be tight spots (yes, the locos have been run in more than 1 hour), noisy mechanism and the headlights flash.  There is also a rhythmic knocking as the loco is running on teh track.

I then fitted a TCS KAM4P decoder with Keep Alive.  This cured the flickering lights but not the erratic running.

I have yet to take the bogies apart .

Any ideas or suggestions will be gratefully received.

Edited by D1056WesternSultan

Did you ad extra pick ups as the early ones didn’t have them in all wheels 

Often found the bogies a bit tight, I have one that slows up in corners - Unscrew bogie slightly.

Is there rust inside anywhere - I had a couple of models in the garage that got rust internally 

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 1

#robD2 Thank you for your suggestions.  Fortunately there is no rust anywhere in any of the locos.  I am 'manning up' to strip the bogies down clean and inspect the gear train, reassemble and lightly oil.  No grease will be used as this  is the curse of smooth running.  I have some phosphor bronze strip so may well try and add extra pick ups while I am at it.

• RMweb Premium

+1for the early releases with 4 axle pickup needing improvement.

With regard to Bachy 66 drive shafts, they are handed. If they are fitted the wrong way round, they can be noisy, or even pop out.

ISTR, one end has a round part of the joint, whilst the other is flatter. The round end "clips in" - I think - to the bogie tower and the other end just slides into the slotted coupling at the motor end. 

Also watch out for the pickup lead becoming detached from the pickup strip on the bogie. It may look as if it fixed, but it's only melted insulation holding it in place.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1