Double ended "through" cassettes for fiddle yard?

• RMweb Gold

Would expansion and contraction of double ended "through" cassettes in a fiddle yard be a problem due to temperature changes?

They would only be about four feet six inches long. I don't envisage any problems moving them. They wouldn't need to be turned around and would only need a couple of buffers adding to stop things rolling off the end and then lifting a short distance onto a wall rack. The room doesn't have much in the way of significant temperature changes and doesn't get any direct sunlight.

Would expansion and contraction due to temperature changes result in problems slotting them into place without a hammer ( ! ) or leave excessively large gaps at the joins?

I have an alternative plan which would work but in the space I have available double ended "through" cassettes would be more convenient.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Edited by Sandpiper

Really depends on the environment your planning on putting them into.

Garage or Loft might be a problem. Spare bedroom might not be. 

They use slip joints in the real world; can you add something along those lines (excuse the pun).

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for  the responses. Some interesting ideas there. If I actually get started on this proposed layout I can give them a try knowing that the plan will make it fairly straightforward to convert it to something else if they don't work out.