How to remove motor from cradle.

I have the 0-6-0 little tank engine in the mixed freight set. I have fitted the worm wheel to my wheels, but now I need help on how to separate the motor from it's cradle so I can swap the worm screw. I can pull or lever it, but I don't want to break it,  so some advice on how to seperate it would be helpful. Thanks

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Lansdown4141 said:

I have the 0-6-0 little tank engine in the mixed freight set. I have fitted the worm wheel to my wheels, but now I need help on how to separate the motor from it's cradle so I can swap the worm screw. I can pull or lever it, but I don't want to break it,  so some advice on how to seperate it would be helpful. Thanks

What mixed freight set would that be?

1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

If you carefully ease back the plastic prongs from one end first and release that motor end, then the motor should pop out of the prongs at the other end.

Thanks. Between the 'worm screw' & the actual motor is a plastic 'wall' so the motor can only move upwards, but there are wires that look like soldered to the side in the way. I don't want to go any further until I am sure I do the right thing. So my guess is I have to unattach the cables.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Lansdown4141 said:

Thanks. Between the 'worm screw' & the actual motor is a plastic 'wall' so the motor can only move upwards, but there are wires that look like soldered to the side in the way. I don't want to go any further until I am sure I do the right thing. So my guess is I have to unattach the cables.

Can you ease the end prongs opposite the worm first? I don't have this motor/engine so I'm working off other Hornby models.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Can you ease the end prongs opposite the worm first? I don't have this motor/engine so I'm working off other Hornby models.

Thanks. As I said it seems the motor was dropped into a matching plastic surround. Normally it would just pull straight up, but a cable is attached to the motor. If you look at the second photo, on the left is a copper 'wire'. It is connected to a cable. Is it just a pull off, or a solder, or should I snip it & re solder it. This is holding me up as I don't want to make a mistake. I don't want to snip it if it's a simple pull, I don't want to pull to hard in case it is connected & damages the motor.

• RMweb Gold

This, I think,  is the service sheet for your type of loco

https://support.Hornby.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/360016265379/hss_349_thomas_0-6-0.pdf

The part you have photographed appears to be one unit and is not meant to be separated, although since Hornby supplies the worm (that goes on the motor) and worm wheel (which goes on the axle) it should be possible to remove the worm from the motor cradle unit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

This, I think,  is the service sheet for your type of loco

https://support.Hornby.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/360016265379/hss_349_thomas_0-6-0.pdf

The part you have photographed appears to be one unit and is not meant to be separated, although since Hornby supplies the worm (that goes on the motor) and worm wheel (which goes on the axle) it should be possible to remove the worm from the motor cradle unit.

Yes thats it. I guess I have to just cut & re solder.