The Southwold Railway - 4mm - 00n3

Lewis Cree

20 hours ago, David Bell said:

I remember articles and drawings of The Southwold railway appearing in the model press a lifetime ago. I think in MRC in the eighties.

There does seem to be a steady stream of information about the Railway, even with the fact that it closed nearly 100 years ago! 

I still don't know why it's hardly ever modelled....

Nearly there.
Needs a LOT of neatening up. Need to repaint the handrails and some of the Chassis where the paint went weird. 
Not completely happy with the painting of the wood on the balcony. 
Just the chain, roof and interior and window detailing left to do.
Only another 5 to go....

IMG_2591.JPG

IMG_2592.JPG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice work, an interesting prototype.

I suspect the reason it is not commonly modelled is that in 4mm scale it needs 12mm gauge, which is less commonly available (and needs more 'engineering' to get working locos when compared to 009), and for those who like roundy-round layouts it needs a bit more space. Even the Isle of Man has few layouts although kits for stock (and unpowered locos) are available.

I have a feeling that I saw a TTn3 (British TT, i.e. approx 1:100 scale) Southwold model at an exhibition somewhere 3 or 4 years ago.

ĸen

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

Nice work, an interesting prototype.

I suspect the reason it is not commonly modelled is that in 4mm scale it needs 12mm gauge, which is less commonly available (and needs more 'engineering' to get working locos when compared to 009), and for those who like roundy-round layouts it needs a bit more space. Even the Isle of Man has few layouts although kits for stock (and unpowered locos) are available.

I have a feeling that I saw a TTn3 (British TT, i.e. approx 1:100 scale) Southwold model at an exhibition somewhere 3 or 4 years ago.

ĸen

Thanks Ken!

Yes that's the struggle I'm realising. The wheel sets that parskide Dundas used to do seem to be none existent. I've source etched Chassis and Alan gibson wheels for my locos, but it's going to be a test for me to build them! I'm more confident at building 4mm/7mm standard Gauge Chassis. 

I have seen people use the loco kits for their 009 layouts. 

But the coaches, wagons and kits for all the loco's are available. So even if someone didn't want to do the exact prototypical 12mm/TT scale track route, it would still capture the Railway if it was done in 009, making sourcing chassis for the loco's and stock easier.

You may have seen one of Stewart Greens layouts? He's the only other modeller I know who Models the Southwold to a prototypical standard.

lewis 

IMG_2418.JPG

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

57 minutes ago, Lewis Cree said:

Yes that's the struggle I'm realising. The wheel sets that parskide Dundas used to do seem to be none existent. I've source etched Chassis and Alan gibson wheels for my locos, but it's going to be a test for me to build them! I'm more confident at building 4mm/7mm standard Gauge Chassis. 

If you are going to rely on existing N-gauge chassis then yes, its easier, provided there is something suitable.  But if you are going to build your own loco chassis then the wider the gauge, the simpler it gets.  Highlevel Kits produce "Slimliner" gearboxes, specifically aimed at 3mm scale modellers.

Cheers, Dave.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DLT said:

Looking forward to seeing this project develop, I'm very keen on the Southwold Railway myself.

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks dave! 

Me too! I'm in the process of just cracking on with the rolling stock at the moment whilst I wait for the baseboards to arrive.

Im planning to Model this section if the line. Not much info or photographs on it, but I like the idea of what's in my head to capture the essence of a small Narrow Gauge Railway dwarfed by marshes.

Although i may have made it hard for myself as the backscene is all flat marshes as far as the eye can see, so will be interesting trying to create that illusion.

Although is hoping the eye level view of the embankment might help with that.

Lewis 

I know the photo with the train on the embankment is coming up to wenhaston, but it gives an idea of the atmosphere I'm going to try and create.

IMG_1977.JPG

IMG_2025.JPG

IMG_2027.JPG

IMG_2612.JPG

Edited by Lewis Cree
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lewis

I am following your progress with interest.

I must admit I have also been fascinated by the Southwold since the article appeared back in the eighties when I was a teenager.

I have acquired a Golden Arrow kit for one of the sharp Stewart engines, but unfortunately now that nine lines have stopped trading I only managed to pick up 4 of the 4 wheeled wagon kits they made.

I did look into wheels and such and found a possible alternative to Gibson on this forum

https://ngrm-online.com/index.php?/forums/topic/26586-golden-arrow-southwold-2-4-02-4-2t-kit/&tab=comments#comment-672398

you have to get a free login to view above so here is the relevant info

Suggested drivers 10.5mm wheels from the 3mm Society.

They're listed as "105/10 3' 6" 10.5 mm 10 spoke pin between 2.5 mm throw generic “industrial”
You'll need to be a member to order 

https://sites.google.com/site/3mmpublic/tools-and

This was also suggested 

“The Branchlines IOM Beyer Peacock chassis kit bought minus etch provides all parts needed to add to the Golden Arrow etch. Just add another pony wheel to the list if you are making it as 2-4-2.“

However looking at your efforts I am wondering whether to stick with the Gibson wheels.

I have a couple of questions

Did you use the pony trucks provided on the    Golden Arrow etch?

Which gearbox and motor have you gone for?

Actually I have a lot of questions these will do for now.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Asterix2012 said:

Hi Lewis

I am following your progress with interest.

I must admit I have also been fascinated by the Southwold since the article appeared back in the eighties when I was a teenager.

I have acquired a Golden Arrow kit for one of the sharp Stewart engines, but unfortunately now that nine lines have stopped trading I only managed to pick up 4 of the 4 wheeled wagon kits they made.

I did look into wheels and such and found a possible alternative to Gibson on this forum

https://ngrm-online.com/index.php?/forums/topic/26586-golden-arrow-southwold-2-4-02-4-2t-kit/&tab=comments#comment-672398

you have to get a free login to view above so here is the relevant info

Suggested drivers 10.5mm wheels from the 3mm Society.

They're listed as "105/10 3' 6" 10.5 mm 10 spoke pin between 2.5 mm throw generic “industrial”
You'll need to be a member to order 

https://sites.google.com/site/3mmpublic/tools-and

This was also suggested 

“The Branchlines IOM Beyer Peacock chassis kit bought minus etch provides all parts needed to add to the Golden Arrow etch. Just add another pony wheel to the list if you are making it as 2-4-2.“

However looking at your efforts I am wondering whether to stick with the Gibson wheels.

I have a couple of questions

Did you use the pony trucks provided on the    Golden Arrow etch?

Which gearbox and motor have you gone for?

Actually I have a lot of questions these will do for now.

Hi,

Its a fascinating little Railway, with quite a lot of information on it, it's just a shame when modelling it some bits of info are just unavailable.

Its a shame NineLines have stopped trading. I'm sure I read somewhere it was due to family circumstances, but I don't know the full reasoning and wether we'all ever see the kits produced again. 

Saying that, I did commission Worlsey works to make brass etched for most of the wagons, and he has them available on his website, as well as the kits for the coaches.

Golden Arrow also makes resin kits for the 6 wheel wagons and the vans and some 4 wheels, but I think at the moment he is making a new moulding for the 6 wheel wagons. 

I shall have a look into all that. 

Alan Gibson was the closest I found, but there will always be others that eventually come up. 

Its the rolling stock wheels that seem to be a pain to get hold of! 

The only thing I don't like about the alan gibson wheels is that you can't screw them to the axle and get the quartering done instantly. Its a 'once they're glued to the axle that's it!'

Can't take the Chassis/wheels apart and have a fiddle and screw into all back together like with Romford wheels. So I'm not looking forward to that.

They're just the closest I could find to the prototype look and size. 

The pony trucks I'm still having a think over. I've added a more prototypical running place and buffer beams to my model of Southwold, so I've had to modify and shorten the Chassis to get it to fit. I've used the back pony truck, but I'm not to happy with it as the brass keeps bending, so I may alter it when I get round to actually finishing the Chassis. The front pony wheels I'm in the process of figuring out how to fix them. So I'll let young know my progress! 

I have an abundence of really small mashima motors that i that I intend to use so I'll see which I have again let you know. I think someone has helpfully mention above somthing about gearboxes, which I needn't to check out as I'm till in the process also of getting all my kits together to start building.

Ask away! I'm more than happy to try and answer any questions!

Regards, 

Lewis 

5 hours ago, DLT said:

If you are going to rely on existing N-gauge chassis then yes, its easier, provided there is something suitable.  But if you are going to build your own loco chassis then the wider the gauge, the simpler it gets.  Highlevel Kits produce "Slimliner" gearboxes, specifically aimed at 3mm scale modellers.

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks Dave , i shall check those out.

not looking forward to using the Alan Gibson wheels as you can't screw them together like you can with Romford wheels, and I've not worked with them before. 

So it's new terrotory for me, in a smaller scale! 

Lewis

• RMweb Gold

This is an excellent layout, I've always been fascinated by the southwold railway. You've done a great job.

One of the things I like about this sort of modelling, is that you can model the entire rolling stock easily. Build 5 coaches and that's it. Job done.

I look forward to seeing more!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lewis

Thanks for your response 

I will follow up on the suggestions re Branchlines for the pony trucks and the 3mm society wheels and let you know how I go with that.

I did find a source of wagon and coach wheels when I was looking last year, I will need to backtrack and see what they were.

Regarding the gearbox I was thinking one of the high level slim liner compact ones

thanks

mark

• Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, Asterix2012 said:

Hi Lewis

Thanks for your response 

I will follow up on the suggestions re Branchlines for the pony trucks and the 3mm society wheels and let you know how I go with that.

I did find a source of wagon and coach wheels when I was looking last year, I will need to backtrack and see what they were.

Regarding the gearbox I was thinking one of the high level slim liner compact ones

thanks

mark

No worries Mark, 

Always handy to share tips and ideas! 

Yes that would be great. I have kits for all the coaches and wagons, and I have kits for all the loco's, with Chassis and wheels. But all that's left is to source a small enough motor and gear box so that would be helpful if you find anything suitable. 

The pictures below are what I'm using for the wagon and coach rolling stock. Not sure if they're still in production, as I've searched and searched and haven't found any. But I will be needing A LOT, if I'm to be modelling the whole of the rolling stock! 

Yes i I think I'll be checking them out, 

Lewis

IMG_2239.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

Edited by Lewis Cree
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

This is an excellent layout, I've always been fascinated by the southwold railway. You've done a great job.

One of the things I like about this sort of modelling, is that you can model the entire rolling stock easily. Build 5 coaches and that's it. Job done.

I look forward to seeing more!

Thank you for the kind words! 

You would think it would be easy!

But it's actually 11 6-wheeled coaches, 23 4-wheeled vehicles, and about 15 to 18 6-wheeled coal wagons. But the wheels seem to be out of production! 

I think I must be mad to attempt this! 

Regards, 

Lewis 

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Lewis Cree said:

No worries Mark, 

Always handy to share tips and ideas! 

Yes that would be great. I have kits for all the coaches and wagons, and I have kits for all the loco's, with Chassis and wheels. But all that's left is to source a small enough motor and gear box so that would be helpful if you find anything suitable. 

The pictures below are what I'm using for the wagon and coach rolling stock. Not sure if they're still in production. But I will be needing A LOT, if I'm to be modelling the whole of the rolling stock! 

Yes i I think I'll be checking them out, 

Lewis

IMG_2239.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

Hi Lewis 

Regarding the wheels 

It was Gibson  I was thinking of who still have them in the catalogue page 39

“We produce a small range of wheels for narrow gauge, which are constructed in the same manner as our other 4mm carriage and wagon wheels. Since there are a number of permutations it may be easier to give the details of the ‘building blocks’ rather than specific items (at least until we devise a parts coding for them).

Axles - 1.5mm diameter pinpoint axles which are either 15mm or 20mm long are provided
Gauges – We currently assemble wheelsets to OO9 and OOn3
Wheels – 8mm
8mm Disc
Wheels –9mm
9mm Disc
Wheels – 10.5mm
10.5mm Disc
8mm 6 Hole Disc
9mm 3 Hole Disc
10.5mm 8 Spoke
8mm 8 Spoke
9mm 8 Spoke
10.5mm 10 Spoke”

sorry the formatting is a bit off in my phone 

I am not sure of the current stock situation though 

Edited by Asterix2012
Adding information
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Have you investigated the 3mm Society, for 12mm gauge products, wheels etc?

The have a new website here:  https://sites.google.com/site/3mmpublic/ 

And their old website here:  http://s116425720.websitehome.co.uk/

Lots of products, including loco driving wheels, self-quartering on square-ended axles.

For fitting Gibson wheels, a GW Models wheel-press is a highly recommended tool, discussion here:  https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/63633-gw-models-wheel-press-quartering-jig/&tab=comments#comment-829360

• Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, DLT said:

Have you investigated the 3mm Society, for 12mm gauge products, wheels etc?

The have a new website here:  https://sites.google.com/site/3mmpublic/ 

And their old website here:  http://s116425720.websitehome.co.uk/

Lots of products, including loco driving wheels, self-quartering on square-ended axles.

For fitting Gibson wheels, a GW Models wheel-press is a highly recommended tool, discussion here:  https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/63633-gw-models-wheel-press-quartering-jig/&tab=comments#comment-829360

I shall have a look into all that! 

Ive sort of took a nose dive into modelling the Southwold Prototypical during the loco down, so I had a big dash of buying up a lot of kits and kit parts, and now I'm slowly discovering all the extra/better suppliers of the things I need.

Luckily I haven't constructed the Chassis yet, and the wheels didn't set me back much, so there's still time to change, as at the moment I'm cracking on with the wagons and coaches. 

But i appreciate the links.

I wish I had your knowledge of Narrow Gauge suppliers! 

Lewis 

18 minutes ago, Asterix2012 said:

Hi Lewis 

Regarding the wheels 

It was Gibson  I was thinking of who still have them in the catalogue page 39

“We produce a small range of wheels for narrow gauge, which are constructed in the same manner as our other 4mm carriage and wagon wheels. Since there are a number of permutations it may be easier to give the details of the ‘building blocks’ rather than specific items (at least until we devise a parts coding for them).

Axles - 1.5mm diameter pinpoint axles which are either 15mm or 20mm long are provided
Gauges – We currently assemble wheelsets to OO9 and OOn3
Wheels – 8mm
8mm Disc
Wheels –9mm
9mm Disc
Wheels – 10.5mm
10.5mm Disc
8mm 6 Hole Disc
9mm 3 Hole Disc
10.5mm 8 Spoke
8mm 8 Spoke
9mm 8 Spoke
10.5mm 10 Spoke”

sorry the formatting is a bit off in my phone 

I am not sure of the current stock situation though 

I never realised they did those.

No 8.0mm 6 Spoke though. As I want to be awkward and be as prototypical as possible. 

I may get some of the 8.0mm 8 Spoke ones though as they were used as the pony trucks on the loco's, and not 6 Spoke which I'm using at the moment. 

Lewis

Transfers going on.

Unfortunately the rest of the supplies for the Coach transfers are still being produced, so this is as far as I can go at the moment. 

Looking okay I guess. Just needs weathering after the rest of the lettering is on, then I can crack on with modelling the interior and finish painting and fitting the roof.

IMG_2613.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

Edited by Lewis Cree
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1