Seeking Dornoch station photographs

dibber25

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 11/03/2021 at 23:26, dibber25 said:

Dornoch ordered!

Hi,

inspired by your article covering the build of this kit, I thought I would try it for myself for a Scottish branch themed layout that I am currently building. I have got the stage where I wish to paint the battens (see picture) but can't quite make out what the lighter colour should be.

Is it white or a sort of light cream? Could you tell me please what paint you used?

Many Thanks,

Regards,

Richard

PC190344.JPG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Light cream is where I would go, white too stark and even a lightest grey /off white for window frames for me.  Possibly Halfords offer rattle can as spray will give a better coat than brushing - just stray lightly in both directions . 

On an N gauge model I used a Ford Polar grey IIRC which is a light grey heading towards a cream shade  as an Intercity  buff / grey and I think this is very good.  albeit my N gauge Dornoch is in Rail grey, as is the footbridge.    

Robert   

• Thanks 1

Painting the battens neatly is not easy. From memory I sprayed the walls with a Games Workshop aerosol can - an off-white with a strange name (all Games Workshop shades have strange names) - Just checked and its Corax White. I used a very dark brown mixed from Omen acrylics to paint the raised battens. (CJL)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

14 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Hi Light cream is where I would go, white too stark and even a lightest grey /off white for window frames for me.  Possibly Halfords offer rattle can as spray will give a better coat than brushing - just stray lightly in both directions . 

On an N gauge model I used a Ford Polar grey IIRC which is a light grey heading towards a cream shade  as an Intercity  buff / grey and I think this is very good.  albeit my N gauge Dornoch is in Rail grey, as is the footbridge.    

Robert   

8 hours ago, dibber25 said:

Painting the battens neatly is not easy. From memory I sprayed the walls with a Games Workshop aerosol can - an off-white with a strange name (all Games Workshop shades have strange names) - Just checked and its Corax White. I used a very dark brown mixed from Omen acrylics to paint the raised battens. (CJL)

Thank you both Robert and dibber25 for your help, I will give Corax White a go. I have already tried Revell 84 Leatherbrown on the doors, which seems dark enough for the brown.

I am guessing that the key to a neat result depends on getting the masking tape to snit snugly on both the ridges and furrows of the battens....

Let's see.

Regards

Richard

Here is the one I did. I used Games Workshop Wraithbone spray for the cream and tidied the join up with brush painted Wraithbone from their tinlet range - it is very difficult to get a clean line even with masking.  This model was built as it came, with the board and battens as laser inscribed but actually doesn't look too bad as such - this model is heading off to Pop Up as a display and I have another kit waiting its turn in the queue which I am going to clad with Evergreen B&B sheet but I think I will seperate the cream and brown areas and paint them separately before adding to the wooden walls.

20210613_155119.jpg

20210613_155101.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys, Thanks for all this very useful information and lovely photo's. Especially to you Alasdair, for your family photos. I'm sure the local museum Historylincs, would love copies.

Thanks to you David, for your kind comments regarding the Railway Modeller article on Lairg. (I wrote one about Strathpeffer, but that one didn't make it through).

Living near Tain, I've always had an interest in the Dornoch Light railway and love to stop near The Mound, to see if there are any Otters. (Yes nothing left of the bridge now).

I was searching for laser cut kits for my New Haven layout (which is still waiting for cash and space 😊) and stumbled across the Pop Up Designs Dornoch station (which I bought).

Not being much of a scratchbuilder, having a kit for the main building, is a good starting point and I'm seriously considring building a layout.

As you say, a surprising amount of information and photo's available as well as the original building still standing.

Rapido's 1644 AND 1649 Pannier tanks (reviewed here in 2020) are also a fantastic boost to such a project. Everything else is readily available.

I hope to have a walk round Dornoch as soon as the weather improves and will definitely visit the museum when it reopens in the Spring.

I'll keep you posted but meanwhile, thanks again and Happy Christmas.

Paul Tollett

Pop Up supply as good as a ready to build  selection of buildings for Dornoch as I suspect no other UK station has - I stand to be corrected though - there is also the loco shed, water tower, goods shed and station kiosk, with only a few assorted sheds and huts to do oneself, but which could be omitted without loss of credibility to a layout. They take most of the effort out of tackling a to date, obscure prototype, and are similar to the ones at Fort George and Lybster, and can be applied to an  imaginary HR branch line somewhere.

If you are interested, I have amassed a gathering of available photos of Dornoch and the branch - drop me a PM and I can arrange a file transfer if you want.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I've only just come across this interesting thread. It's brought back a memory of my time driving buses in Brisbane. We used to do a run to Dornoch Terrace. So for someone many years before my time, it must have been a reminder of the old country.

• Like 1

I didn't know Pop up did the station kiosk!  (And I've just bought a Slaters one to adapt!).

I saw a photo of it, with John Menzies sign above it, but can't find it now.

Yes Pete. We pesky English forced thousands of Scots to emigrate and I think there are now more people in the world of Scottish descent, than there are in Scotland!

Looking forward to seeing more photos. Meanwhile I've been looking at Oxford Diecast vehicles to park outside the station. Pity no one does a Post Bus, but I'll buy a maroon and cream bus to 'look the part' for the moment.

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone and a productive New Year.

Paul Tollett

Edited by Paul Tollett

On 23/12/2023 at 20:25, Paul Tollett said:

I didn't know Pop up did the station kiosk!  (And I've just bought a Slaters one to adapt!).

I saw a photo of it, with John Menzies sign above it, but can't find it now.

There you go - one of a series I did earlier in the year, including one for Pop Up.

IMG_2265.JPG

• Like 5