I’ve always wanted a large layout, to watch full length trains rolling by but I’ve never had the opportunity, finances or space to build one.  I was talking with a friend last night and he suggested building a layout in the garden and it threw me.

As I model in OO gauge and DCC, is this really practical?  I’d like to hear from others about the advantages, pitfalls or even experiences that they’ve had.  My plan is I’d really like to maybe sit in the garden on a sunny day, a beer, watching the trains roll by.

Edited by jools1959
11 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I’ve always wanted a large layout, to watch full length trains rolling by but I’ve never had the opportunity, finances or space to build one.  I was talking with a friend last night and he suggested building a layout in the garden and it threw me.

As I model in OO gauge and DCC, is this really practical?  I’d like to hear from others about the advantages, pitfalls or even experiences that they’ve had.  My plan is I’d really like to maybe sit in the garden on a sunny day, a beer, watching the trains roll by.

Do I detect a full-blown "Sleaford" in the offing?

Afraid I can't offer any real help with OO gauge/DCC practicality other than my (somewhat humble) garden railway is 16mm scale with live steam and battery powered locos because I thought it would be easier to run trains with these power sources rather than relying on track fed power, which I believe would require constant "maintenance" to ensure smooth/consistent running. But don't just rely on my thoughts/experiences. I'm sure there are plenty of people on RMweb who have good experiences of operating OO gauge DCC layouts in the garden and will offer you sound advice.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, iands said:

Do I detect a full-blown "Sleaford" in the offing?

Urm, nope ;):P

I just fancy sitting in the garden watching trains go by, frightening the cats :lol:

I did one for my Dad, G Gauge.

Laid it at ground level at the time he could get that low, Sickness hit and it is basically out of use as his back is preventing he stooping.

So if I was doing one again, make is raised and on stilts, No Weeds will take over, Cleaning will be made easier too which was a right pain in the butt to get sorted everytime we needed running.

Some nice OO garden layouts there but If I stated again it would be O given the RTR stuff out there now.

I live in Ireland so I opted to lay on Concrete brick as the damp would eat the wood in no time at all.

• Like 1

Didn't someone do a rather large garden layout in N once? Now that had to be masochism.

" It's actually better for the track to be in full sunlight, but not too exposed because the wind can blow trains over."

Lol!

But looking at those photos has made me want to do it "just because".

(I'm an N gauge guy).

Edited by AndrueC
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

I did one for my Dad, G Gauge.

Laid it at ground level at the time he could get that low, Sickness hit and it is basically out of use as his back is preventing he stooping.

So if I was doing one again, make is raised and on stilts, No Weeds will take over, Cleaning will be made easier too which was a right pain in the butt to get sorted everytime we needed running.

Some nice OO garden layouts there but If I stated again it would be O given the RTR stuff out there now.

I live in Ireland so I opted to lay on Concrete brick as the damp would eat the wood in no time at all.

First thing I thought of was raising it on stilts because I have serious mobility issues.  I've decided to keep with OO mainly because of being on a limited budget and I can use the stuff I already have, though the new O gauge stuff that's coming out, makes it seriously tempting.  I'm not going to bother with stations, signals and stuff like that as it will be a simple but large double track oval.

Edited by jools1959
Spelling
23 hours ago, jools1959 said:

My plan is I’d really like to maybe sit in the garden on a sunny day, a beer, watching the trains roll by.

That is what I do on sunny days :D.

From my experience, which is on the larger gauges (S. 0 and 1) , I concluded that good and many power supply feeders to the track are most important. I found out that, especially with DCC locomotives, this is very important. You might even consider going 00 gauge 3-rail. But as Dorkingian shows it even can be done in 2-rail 00.

Regards

Fred

• Like 1