Hornby Class 29 upgrade

JohnR

• RMweb Gold

I'm just trying to add some lighting to my Hornby 29. I'm not looking to do major body surgery as I'm ok with the compromises Hornby made (at least for the moment).

My question is, has anyone done a similar basic lighting install, or does anyone have suggestions? I'm looking at taking out the headcode box and illuminating that, and some tail lights. A cab light is fairly straightforward.

Should I put the tail lights where Hornby have (I presume the red paint dots) or where the lights are either side of the headcode box. I don't think I will attempt to move them lower, however, so it would be in their current position.

PXL_20210426_152956895.jpg

Ignore the red dots, these circular indentations are (were) the warning horn grilles. You shouldn't really be fitting lights in those!

So it's the others either side of the headcode box. It sounds like you are aware of this model's shortcomings regarding its mixed Class 21/29 detailing.....!

Remember that contrary to just about every RTR loco fitted with lights these days, BR Diesel and Electric locos of this period (and all the way up to the late 1980s) only ever displayed ONE tail light when running light.....either the left hand or the right hand one but not both (and as Neil says it's not the bit with the erroneous red dot - the tail lights are the mouldings either side of the headcode boxes)

Edited by andyman7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, delticfan said:

Nice job, remember this one in the catalogue in 1978 when I was a kid, still has bags of charm to it.

This model is one of a batch made in china around the turn of the century. The paint job is very good! Hence why I don't want to do much surgery to it. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neil Phillips said:

Ignore the red dots, these circular indentations are (were) the warning horn grilles. You shouldn't really be fitting lights in those!

So it's the others either side of the headcode box. It sounds like you are aware of this model's shortcomings regarding its mixed Class 21/29 detailing.....!

1 hour ago, andyman7 said:

Remember that contrary to just about every RTR loco fitted with lights these days, BR Diesel and Electric locos of this period (and all the way up to the late 1980s) only ever displayed ONE tail light when running light.....either the left hand or the right hand one but not both (and as Neil says it's not the bit with the erroneous red dot - the tail lights are the mouldings either side of the headcode boxes)

Thanks both. I think I will fit a pair of tail lights in each end, just for consistency with all my other locos!

I realised that those red dots wernt where the tail lights were supposed to be, but thought Hornby had just decided to approximate them using red paint (not uncommon).

Any thoughts on suitable LEDs, as the ones on the Dapol lighting board arnt going to be useable?