Nondescript BR (W) MPD

Like many on this forum I began railway “modelling” as a child with a simple train set and became more serious as I got older. Then as other things in life began to be more interesting, the layout I had built with my dad through my early teens began to gather dust in my parents loft as I went off to University and there it has stayed. Until now. Having recently purchased my first house, and moved most of my stock here with me, lockdown reignited the modelling bug. I’ve been busying myself detailing some of my older RTR stock as well as building a few kits. As such I have decided that they could do with a layout to be used on. However with space being limited the 12’x6’ roundy roundy in the loft at my parents house isn’t really an option anymore. Therefore I have been toying with a plan for a layout that will split into 3 sections (as shown by the red lines on the image) that will each fit within a 70l Really Useful Box. These can then be stored free of dust when not in use. Unfortunately the design will therefore have some compromises, such as the (I suspect) unprototypical positioning of the running shed (in blue) and the squeezing of pointwork so that it will not overlap baseboard joints. There will also be a rather contrived over bridge/tunnel arrangement to hide the off scene area (yellow) but I currently can’t think of any better way to do it. Any suggestions would be welcome.85C42A4F-9E62-4ADF-9CA2-D9E3122035A9.jpeg.600eceef1cd588f6ed0ad1b00d40accf.jpeg

I don’t imagine progress will be all that rapid due to work and other commitments but hopefully I can use this thread to keep a log of my progress even if no one else is interested in my ramblings.

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

As predicted progress has been slow, however some (quite minimal) advancement has been made. The first problem I have encountered is that I can only find the required really useful boxes in stock with retailers who are charging around double the price point I want to pay. That has also prevented me from building the boards, as until I have a box in-front of me to accurately measure I’m not going to trust the quoted internal dimensions and risk having to cut down boards I’ve just fabricated.

Problem 2 is that being a late 1950’s steam shed I would like the track to have bullhead rail, but given the delays to Peco production, if I wait for stock of rtr medium radius bullhead points, the layout may never get built at all. As a result I have decided to build my own pointwork. However as this will be my first attempt at handmade track I don’t fancy having the training wheels removed completely.

After doing some research and weighing up ease of construction, overall look and price, I have settled on SMP scaleway plastic sleepered kits. These have the added bonus of being the same radius as streamline medium points so I’m hoping the track plan won’t need too much altering.

Having attempted one kit as a tester I am reasonably pleased with the results and after some tweaking and testing a variety of my stock, seems to be derailment free. The soldering could be better but for a first attempt I don’t think it’s too bad.

Now I just need the boxes to come back into stock with a retailer at a sensible price.

DCEFCD17-8537-4FF9-8CDB-8DBAE7DA5785.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some real progress at last! I have managed to source the 3 boxes I need for £20 a box, which is more the amount I wanted to pay. This has coincided with a day off work and dry weather for the woodwork. The modelling Gods must be smiling on me. Anyway I’ve managed to manufacture the 3 boards without too much difficulty, they are now all sealed and ready for painting/track laying.

A00D4060-FFA9-43F5-9D94-D59CF397F7F5.jpeg

8437C73F-C432-43C5-ACDB-218B40566F9E.jpeg

• Like 3

Your shed layout would be more authentic (and easier to operate) if the coaling road ran directly onto the turntable and there was an adjacent siding for ash wagons.

I'm planning a very similar GWR layout in 7mm, and my solution is to model the shed in half-relief with the shed/entry/coal stage roads running onto cassettes. This makes the layout much less cramped, gives greater operating flexibility and avoids the shed building dominating the layout.

7mmShed_2 copy.jpg

Edited by dpgibbons
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

Your shed layout would be more authentic (and easier to operate) if the coaling road ran directly onto the turntable and there was an adjacent siding for ash wagons.

I'm planning a very similar GWR layout in 7mm, and my solution is to model the shed in half-relief with the shed/entry/coal stage roads running onto cassettes. This makes the layout much less cramped, gives greater operating flexibility and avoids the shed building dominating the layout.

7mmShed_2 copy.jpg

Thanks for your advice, it has confirmed several things I was thinking already. Although not explicitly mentioned in my initial plan, cassette storage is the way I intend to go. The ash siding was something I wanted to include, however I had thought that given the space available may end up looking too cluttered. Your point about the turntable being directly accessible from the coaling road and essentially forming the release for locomotives post coaling is something I had considered but wasn’t sure as to how common that was in depots (I have since seen several examples whilst researching). As such I think I will rework the plan to include that set up. I also think that may free up some space for an ash wagon siding, so win-win. Another day off work tomorrow so hopefully some further progress will be made.

• Like 1

Boards trial fitted, cork added and painted. I haven’t bothered cutting the cork around the track base, my reasoning being that there would be no ballast shoulder within the shed confines. I’m hoping this will also allow me to carve out some of the cork in places to create puddles. I’ve also managed to make a start on track laying, and here I’ve run into another issue, caused entirely by my own ignorance. I’m using DCC concepts legacy flexitrack and being stainless steel I can’t solder anything to it. Another Amazon order for some new flux and solder that I reckon will do the job.

1CEBB990-9C49-4667-9C05-E125E2ED2438.jpeg

A1AACBA9-286F-4040-8F47-8CBF2FB02355.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Last day off work today. I had hoped to have it all wired up and test run a locomotive over the joints but due to the solder issue I haven’t quite got there. All pointwork laid and the baseboard cut for the Ash/inspection pits is as for as I’ve got. I’ve decided against using the peco turntable I have as I would prefer one ofa GWR pattern. So I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered a Greenwood one. But I don’t yet know the exact dimensions and so I haven’t laid cork over the majority of the third board just yet as it’s most likely going to have a sizeable hole cut out of it, just to end up with the other offcuts in the shed.

Given that I won’t have a chance to work on it for a while now, each board is back in its box. This has highlighted the need for end pieces for each board when in storage that are the same depth as the storage box so that the boards are anchored in place within. This is down to the fact that getting the boxes in the loft requires they be turned on their side and there’s a risk of something breaking if the board moves within the box. Not so much at the moment, perhaps, but the scenic items will definitely be in danger going forward.232C15DC-76F1-4ADC-9CE1-4FFB89945916.jpeg.e213069cda94a542e45872741bf8873f.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Evenings over the course of this week have been spent making up scalescenes inspection pits. The one to serve as the ash pit was built as per the instructions. However the inspection pits in the shed area are too close together and would mean cutting too much of the baseboard away, to the point that it would lose structural integrity. So I have stuck the pit sides and bottom directly to the holes cut in the board which seems to have worked well. The kit is quite good considering it’s a free download so I can’t complain. The only bit I am unsure about is the look of the hard standing that surrounds the pit, I may replace that with plaster or DAS clay at a later date. 

All of the track on the first two boards has now had the rail sides sprayed and is ready for ballasting.

9E9F74D1-4C9B-443A-B285-127872B419DC.jpeg

9C70B1AE-6D91-4B2B-B7BC-CFAC6664802C.jpeg

• Like 9

Just a quick update this evening... it lives! I’ve managed to run the trusty baby warship to every part of the layout (despite not having any frogs wired up). In preparation for ballasting hopefully tomorrow, if I can find the time.E8D63F86-40D3-42A4-92C2-7C5312BF8A4B.jpeg.a73d88b795152ac5f7a522c128746893.jpeg

• Like 6

A lot of good progress this afternoon. Track ballasted using a cinders ballast, but that didn’t look to have the caked in grime appearance that I am looking for. Plan B, which I already had prepared just in case, sieved BBQ ash was lightly sprinkled over the ballast in the areas where locomotives will be stood and glued down in the usual way as well as adding a few piles in and by the ash pit. And once dried an oily black was airbrushed over the ash as the light grey colour didn’t look right.

Whilst waiting for glue and paint to dry the back scene boards and removable end boards for each section were cut and fitted. These ensure that the layout sections can’t move when stored in the box with the lid on. This should protect the scenic items/buildings when added. The back scene isn’t very deep, only around 15cm above board level, but that is a necessary compromise in order for the sections to fit in the boxes.B37379EA-5641-40CA-9F6E-7E41A159F40A.jpeg.658daa0c2ee2f44056147259c73db16e.jpeg

• Like 1

Another afternoon spent on the layout. The focus was getting the coaling ramp fitted to get a better idea of the final impact it will have on the model. I am pleased with the overall impression, even with just the quick card mock up of the stage itself. The final version will be embossed brick sheet but still have a removable tank section in order to fit in the box.

DEE8C6E1-8FCF-4488-9A7C-597468F37D41.png.0acd7714249944823b2d87af605ad004.png

I also decided there was no time like the present to replace the hard standing around the shed area with plaster. I just can’t get happy with the card. It’s still rough around the edges and needs tidying up and weathering but I prefer it already. Between the rails still needs to be done  but given I’ll have to be careful to avoid fouling the flanges that has been left for now.3998CA47-B604-447E-8E4F-CD2B37DFDF4A.jpeg.cd55a5290934a162614a8ed0a86645ec.jpeg

• Like 4

Haven’t found much time today for the layout but as it was still set up from yesterday I thought I’d have a little running session. Track cleanliness proved to be an issue following ballasting so there wasn’t actually much running by the time I had repeatedly cleaned the rails. I did manage to catch 2 drivers having a chat outside the shed before their respective turns though.D32D5353-6A68-4A31-A2A6-095BB64BA5BE.jpeg.9c14570a1e6926a5d07b44c4092e55ff.jpeg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Work has been busy recently so opportunities for modelling have been limited. I also can’t do much further until I can afford to purchase the point motors and accessory decoder, which are the last major purchase before scenics are all that remains. So for now I’ve just had to be content with shuttling a few locomotives around the shed and coaling road. I’m still reasonably pleased with what can be achieved with some close up framing of shots on the most complete sections.1F7DC1A6-C74F-4A05-9672-DA0848813792.jpeg.e22c831ed4f3af1d230a545a663cba74.jpeg

The Ex-GWR enginemen never were too fond of the Pacifics they were given.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

With the evenings drawing in and my want to be outside after work dwindling, I’ve made a start on building the coal stage to replace the card mock up. The basic 4 walls are complete and given it’s my first attempt at scratch building anything from plasitcard, I’m fairly happy so far. It’s not going to be a 100% faithful representation of any single prototype, but I’ve taken inspiration from several examples. These are notably Didcot, due to measurements being readily available, and Newton Abbot in its post war state with corrugated metal extension as I am keen to incorporate something similar.

BF3B8E11-DD5E-4F69-8A3E-E5373FC74A5A.jpeg

EDBC91B2-78DA-432C-B016-6C1F72AF7E4A.jpeg

Edited by 7802
Punctuation
  • Like 6

Progress has been fairly good over the weekend and I think it warrants an update. The Coal Stage is more or less complete, enough to be placed in position anyway. The concrete sides of the ramp are also now in place. The next stage will be to lay the track through the upper level of the stage and permanently fix the structure down.4744B552-4A5B-4E14-B76E-B2D81737FE4F.jpeg.53da9e3eedec63463aba3e8afe76bd5e.jpegE1FE1C10-25DA-4E7E-84CC-2A5CB9ADFA57.jpeg.5e50901faeca563c5ea4b202b6c6fa64.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

First day off for Christmas has given me the chance to continue work on the layout. The main structure for the corrugated coal stage extension is complete. The structure is based on that added to the original stage at Newton Abbot in order to provide better conditions for staff over a drop that was originally completely exposed. As can be seen in the image the windows are much larger than the original brick structure in order to let much more natural light into the work area. As a result I will need to fabricate window frames, probably from brass wire. Guttering and ladders are also required. Before that it needs painting, which I think might take a few goes to get the colour looking right, not helped by the fact I’ve yet to find a colour photo of the original.

1A15E122-5F2F-4066-93CF-69F6A17AA01E.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn’t be bothered with getting the layout out of the loft this weekend after only just having put the Christmas decorations back up there in the week. Instead I busied myself with a few things I could do without it.

First up a sand furnace from a laser cut kit that went together nicely in not long at all.

4F6D0CD8-88B1-4CDD-9492-FE64F0510F2B.jpeg.764e20c2a455996682a6877a5795881d.jpeg081FED97-5254-4245-8534-8107D220C54B.jpeg.ba8635fbcbee680daaaeabfabf5e9c98.jpeg

Next on the list of small jobs was 3 water crane kits to be assembled and painted ready for placing on the boards.

And finally , the newest addition to the stable, the latest Modified hall from Bachmann, has been renamed/numbered and given a light dose of weathering with the air brush and powders. The final touches being crew and real coal.3D5B6BAD-3F95-4A8A-BD4D-B48393C75950.jpeg.bf2ae58d2d84dc7fc1c3f0f53e7f3ad7.jpeg

• Like 8

What a great layout you have I've models a western region shed like this. I like the coaling stage extension that's rarely modelled but was very common on the western region.

Cant wait to see more progress.

Kind regards Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice work 7802. 

The layout is coming together nicely.. 

Do like the scratch building. It certainly sets the scene and region nicely. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 1

Another few evenings of progress. Fairly happy with the look of the corrugated extension, colour wise now so it’s been fixed down and a light has been added over the drop. Still need ladders, guttering, windows and handrails to finish it off but for now it’ll do. The sand furnace and water cranes have been fixed down too and it’s surprising the difference they make, now that the foreground isn’t just level board with track on it.

699C6ED3-5402-4EB5-9D47-E1F176A0B650.jpeg.8d8abf75b158787a573ca22b9139db78.jpeg4F27972A-04BA-45DA-90F3-A33ED2F1A0E3.jpeg.3debf4cc60010a905c42af56e21b1317.jpeg8B32F68E-B98B-40E6-8660-7DA8E0BAB459.jpeg.b8868fde6501d066c2e70a36ebd0d621.jpeg

I could really do with getting the third board more complete but that requires a turntable. I had planned to buy a Greenwood one but I haven’t heard great things. It may be back to the drawing board.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Given the lack of turntable options available I’ve decided to have a go at scratch building one. This may go horrendously wrong but the only thing I’ve had to buy for it specifically so far is the copperclad board (£5) so I’m not all that bothered if it is only good for the bin.

The remaining hurdles to overcome are track power supply, motorisation and wheels. I think I have a suitable motor somewhere but I’m unsure if it will still work and I remember it being rather noisy. Track power will I think be provided by wipers slung below the deck onto 2 copper clad rings around the central pivot, and I’ll also need an auto reverser to prevent shorts. I have frankly no idea how to source the wheels but I will keep looking.

Pictures of the progress so far:ED1B08BA-F3E7-4A42-A0F2-6D849E628A3D.jpeg.cafe4cdd4692bbbb2258aac0239d6b23.jpeg48F6E263-2F02-4CF6-910C-73E5A05A7E2A.jpeg.78a44f2e00c3927af69f93d175af67e0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1