Degreasing RTR models prior to weathering

I'd be interested in hearing people's preferred methods which are effective at removing grease but without damaging the paint. I've seen a lot of people recommend Cif as a degreaser when kitbuilding, but I'd be concerned about using this on RTR paintwork.

Cheers,

Liam

• Administrators

I've never degreased a RTR model, and I've weathered loads of them using both paint and powders.

If you want to find out, try a test on an inconspicuous part first, but I suspect you are just overthinking the problem. Start with a cheapo second hand wagon and work on from there.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve used a light detergent solution, ready-mixed car screenwash (also good for cleaning records), or that clear pump-action antibacterial spray. All appear good and didn’t affect the paint. I’ve also used acrylic paint thinners, but this created a bloom on the surface of the paint. A happy accident as I wanted a worn finish under the weathering.

Edited by 97406

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Phil in that I don't degrease RTR models before weathering them. I do make sure that all excess oil and grease is removed from the interior, though. If this is not done, there is a high probability that capillary action will spread that oil all over the external weathering texture via gaps (which you might not be able to see with the naked eye) in the bodywork. This might help explain:

Bachmann Tidemark Warning - Large Version.pdf

Edited by Mick Bonwick
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Thanks All.

Just to clarify, are you saying you don't degrease any painted RTR models or only brand new ones out of the box? I can see the argument for not degreasing a brand new model, but if you are weathering one that's been used and handled for months or years already, I would have thought some level of cleaning would be needed to ensure the paint sticks properly and remove fingerprints etc.

I've tended to give models a scrub with warm water and washing up liquid prior to painting in the past. However, I'm not sure how effective this is versus otehr methods or not doing so at all.

Cheers,

Liam

Edited by Pillar

• RMweb Gold

The heading of your post implied that you were weathering these models. That being the case I see no reason to clean RTR models whether they're straight out of the box or well handled and worn. Weathering, as I understand and implement it, only ever uses small quantities of paint, washes, or pigment. Apart from the previously mentioned precaution about excess oil and grease from the internals, degreasing has never played a part in any of the weathering I have done. If you want to do it, however, there's nothing to say that you can't. My point of view is that it is not necessary.

If you are going to repaint the model then that's another fettle of kish.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, Pillar said:

Just to clarify, are you saying you don't degrease any painted RTR models or only brand new ones out of the box?

Nope. Not even old 2nd hand models bought for modification.

A lot depends on the handling. If they have been mauled for many months by the sort of person whose handshake makes you want to go and wash your hands, then you might have a point, normally I don't worry. If you are unsure, get an old model and start there. Never learn on your newest and best models. Do this, and you'll soon stop worrying about it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Give them a quick wash with some warm soapy (washingup liquid) water ... but take the body off the chassis first on locos and only wash the body.

Yes locomotives from China from all manufacturers can be awash with oil/grease etc. I generally wipe them dry, then wash in washing up liquid and warm water. And as Mick Bonwick says it ends up leaving a tide mark on the weathering over time.

Also avoid using WD40 on locomotives - that really is a pain to get clean before weathering. (if you want to add lubrication GT85 is much better).

Second hand items.. well I wash mine when I get them as you never know what has been used on them.

I use cif water and a softish toothbrush to remove any of my weathering I need to.. it is ok ..just don't scrub the paint work.

Baz