Only the point motors in the goods yard buzz

The point motors on one side of my layout work nicely but I am adding a goods yard and all the point motors there work but buzz noisily. Same Peco PL-10E motors. Similar SPDT mini toggles on a control panel. Similar Peco Streamline oo gauge turnouts. The main difference is it is about 4 metres further from the Gaugemaster CDU. The wire from CDU to the control panel is 5 amp 24/0.2 . The wires from control panel to point motors is the same 16/0.2 that worked ok before. Some connections are with screw terminals and others soldered. Do I need a second CDU near the goods yard or is there something else I can do to stop the buzzing?

Seems strange that the motors buzz on a CDU unit which give a straight DC pulse. The buzzing suggests they're being fed with AC, are you sure for this panel you've picked up the output side of the CDU and not the AC input?

It would probably be better to have a separate CDU for this panel though.

Edited by JeremyC
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JeremyC said:

Seems strange that the motors buzz on a CDU unit which give a straight DC pulse. The buzzing suggests they're being fed with AC, are you sure for this panel you've picked up the output side of the CDU and not the AC input?

It would probably be better to have a separate CDU for this panel though.

Agreed, AC is on these point motors for sure.

Yes, I'd consider a 2nd CDU, as if here are 2 or more operators, there WILL be times, when both try to operate points at the same time.

While a 2nd CDU may be best, but a single power supply, will almost certainly be fine for both.

Very strange you managed to wire the first set of point motors correctly yet the second set look as though you have picked the wrong terminals for the power supply.

How many motors do you have, total, and are any of the ouputs going to 2 points on the same switch? Can any of the PM's be fired together? If you will fire several PM's at the same time there will come a point wherethey wont receive enough of a power surge from the CDU and some or more wont fire over properly. I had 40+ off one CDU, some 3M away, and apart from crossings where 2 PM's were wired together never fired switches simultaneously. But if you do, they may not all fire over. And in fact, when the capacitors are completely discharged they do need a little time before they will reach full charge. So you can get once amounts to an overload although I never experienced it; if you do, a second CDU would be a good idea.