Which roof vents for mk2b and mk2c Irish conversions?

Hi all. I have a question regarding the roof vents on the above coaches which were bought/swapped used by Irish Rail from Vic Berry and rebuilt in Dublin.

There are two main types and I don't believe the roof vents would have been modified during the rebuild as these coaches were only an interim solution until railcars arrived.

I'm overwhelmed by the terminology (scalloped, ridged etc) and would really appreciate it if someone could say for a mk2b use X and for mk2c use y. A supplier that ships outside the UK would be preferable but I can workaround UK only suppliers too.

The donor coaches are Lima mk2bs.

The original prototype donors were all mk2b and mk2c FK's. 

Here's my progress so far:

IMG_20210517_181247303.jpg

IMG_20210517_181916801.jpg

Rebuilt? If they're the ones I'm thinking of you opened the door of an IR carriage in the 90s and entered BR in the 70s. It looked like absolutely nothing had been done to them internally so I doubt the roof vents were changed. I would trust the model unless it conflicts with a photo.

Edited by SZ

I think the Lima roofs were all of one type and not the FK type (these were in a single row down one side of the roof) and of course the Lima model was a mk2b whereas most of the prototype donors were mk2c's, with one mk2, 5x mk2a's and 2x mk2b's.

They were definitely reconfigured at least because at least some of the donors were FK's and what ended up in service were all open seating. My Irish railway rambler book uses the term "extensively refurbished" whatever that means.

The two mk2b's were FK's originally and ended up as buffet cars.

In any case I believe no modifications were made to the vents and the Lima model is only of one type of mk2b (the wrong type for me) so I need to file the vents down and replace with prototypical ones for the mk2b FK and the mk2c FO. 

So can someone point me towards a supplier or suppliers of the correct vents for mk2b FK and mk2c FO vehicles? A plan or description with dimensions of where exactly on the roof the vents go would be amazing too.

51 minutes ago, murphaph said:

They were definitely reconfigured at least because at least some of the donors were FK's and what ended up in service were all open seating.

They were definitely running in service with BR compartments. That is why I remember them.

Perhaps they pressed them into service as soon as possible in some cases and refurbished a bit later. They were very short on coaching stock at the time, which is what prompted the unusual purchase if used equipment. The only donors that were corridor compartment (apart from the mk2as which I'm not interested in) were the two that ended up as buffet cars so it's possible they pushed them into service as was for a time (after a quick repaint). There is at least one example of a blue n grey BR intercity sitting in Connolly Station Dublin sandwiched between NIR liveried stock so just about anything is possible I suppose.

Ultimately it doesn't matter much for me as a modeller. I'll be modelling the refurbished state with buffet in those former compartment coaches. The rest were FO originally and reclassed SO in 1983 by BR but I'm sure BR wouldn't have touched the vents at that time either.

Edited by murphaph

Mark 2b had scalloped dome as per MJT 2943:

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2943.php

Mark 2c had two different types of vent (GM and Roevac), I don't think either are available commercially although someone may have done a 3d print. I used plasticard rectangles for the Lmia 2b I converted to 2c.

Edit: Southern Pride may do the 2c types

Edited by giz
  • Like 1