Distance Between Locomotives/Vehicles (BR)

Right Away

• RMweb Gold

ISTR being advised many years ago, that in the interests of safety (persons going between), when a locomotive is brought onto a road which is already occupied, it must either be stopped and secured a certain distance from the next engine or vehicle - or with buffers touching. This would especially include locomotive depots. That distance eludes me, but the figure of 6 feet does come to mind.

Would any member be able to elaborate on that approximate minimum distance. 

Thanks in advance.

Rule 12(g) might give you a clue : - 

"Employees must not go between the buffers of vehicles or between stop blocks and the nearest vehicle when they are less than 50 feet apart, without first satisfying themselves that none of the vehicles is about to be moved and that no shunting is taking place on the lines which they are about to cross."

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that information.

I’m also interested to ascertain if any local (possibly Regional) MPD requirement existed, maintaining a minimum distance be kept between stabled locomotives unless they’re buffer to buffer. This to avoid crush injuries to depot staff, as could occur if a stationary engine be clouted from behind into another. Possibly this was just a case of using “common sense”; we are of course talking pre HSE here.

Whenever you took a loco onto a shed (depot) unless you were met by a shedman or fitter asking  you to stop in a particular place you just buffered up to the loco you arrived behind, and the shedman would move it for servicing/stabling.  Similarly if you were stabling the locos you just buffered them all up to the stop blocks, unless of course there was a crossing  to be kept  clear.

If you left room between them all you could have quickly run out of space, and if you think about it leaving a gap may have tempted others into taking short cuts between them.

The stopping 6ft short of everything is a fairly new idea, and I well remember a 'safety manager' who I'd known previously as a guard,  getting upset because I didn't take him seriously and laughed  when he told me I had to stop 6ft short of stop blocks, and if I didn't he'd discipline me for a collision!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

That is correct,  before buffering up, you first stop 6 feet short, then ease up,  driving up to the buffers without the first stop is classed as a collision. The pull back distance, when propelling  away (reversing ) from stock is 2 feet

2 hours ago, Pandora said:

That is correct,  before buffering up, you first stop 6 feet short, then ease up,  driving up to the buffers without the first stop is classed as a collision. The pull back distance, when propelling  away (reversing ) from stock is 2 feet

I'm fully aware of the situation today, however the railway then (prob 30+ years ago when I had that conversation) was a very different place, and in this instance the instruction being issued was that you stopped 6ft short and remained 6ft short. It quickly died a death though, presumably because it was realised it simply wasn't practical in many places.

Edited by 101