Visible differences between CL800 and CL802

jpendle

Hi,

As the title suggests are there any visible differences between the Hitachi CL800 and CL802 units?

I know that the CL802 has a different engine and larger fuel tanks but these don't seem to be visible, presumably behind the cowling/skirts of the carriages.

I'm thinking of using a CL800 as a TPE CL802, Electra Rail graphics have produced some TPE vinyls.

Thanks,

John P

8 hours ago, jpendle said:

Hi,

As the title suggests are there any visible differences between the Hitachi CL800 and CL802 units?

I know that the CL802 has a different engine and larger fuel tanks but these don't seem to be visible, presumably behind the cowling/skirts of the carriages.

I'm thinking of using a CL800 as a TPE CL802, Electra Rail graphics have produced some TPE vinyls.

Thanks,

John P

The engines are the same however the 802 has larger tanks and larger rheo brake resistors. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi,

I have no eye for detail and I can't find any close up shots of these units on the web.

Are the larger tanks and resistors visible, or are they hidden inside the body.

If they are visible does anyone have any close up shots showing the difference?

Thanks,

John P

• RMweb Premium

As Jo says its the size of the rheo grids on the roof that is the visible difference. My quick way of identifying the GWR types is: 

• 800/0 - White around the cab doors (short grids, but the white is the quick clincher)
  • 800/3 - No white, short grids
  • 802/0 - No white, long grids
  • 802/1 - same as 802/0 until you can see 4th car from either end which is unpowered, so has no grid

I think all GWR units have the larger fuel tank, certainly Flickr photos show that there are difference in the appearance of the underframe "boxes" on 800001 between when it was running as a white test unit and how it is now. It appears that initially the tank was behind a door, like the rest of the module, but now the tank itself seems to come out to the "door line" so it nearly, but not quite, matches the doors. The extra width would make sense as a way to give greater capacity. 

I've not studied any other operators' IETs so couldn't comment on their detail differences.