Crab front footsteps

Hi all,

I'm working on a Lima 'Crab' body at the minute, and am trying to think of a solution for the front footsteps.

As the loco is built, the steps are attached to the leading bogie on a bracket, meaning they essentially 'turn' with the wheels. It's a novel solution but not the most aesthetic... Looking at fitting white metal replacements (via 247 developments) in the correct position, I think that clearance on curves is going to be an issue, with the leading wheels likely to touch the back of the steps. 

I notice the Bachmann Crab omits the steps entirely - is this the reason? They couldn't find a solution to make it work?

All ideas welcome - especially if you've successfully converted one. Apologies if this topic has been mentioned before and I've missed it...

Best wishes,

Chris

• Like 1

The Bachmann footsteps are in the bag.

If you would prefer etched brass footsteps I'm sure something from Wizard will fit.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/page/1/?orderby=price&s=step&post_type=product&title=1&excerpt=1&content=1&categories=1&attributes=1&tags=0&sku=1&ixwps=1

Without measuring them, possibly one of these?

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/locomotive/mt231/

Jason

• Like 1

On 15/06/2021 at 15:29, Steamport Southport said:

The Bachmann footsteps are in the bag.

If you would prefer etched brass footsteps I'm sure something from Wizard will fit.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/page/1/?orderby=price&s=step&post_type=product&title=1&excerpt=1&content=1&categories=1&attributes=1&tags=0&sku=1&ixwps=1

Without measuring them, possibly one of these?

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/locomotive/mt231/

Jason

Ahhhh I didn't realise they came as a bagged item - every picture I've looked at they've not been fitted (apart from the Brassmasters etch), so I assumed they'd been left off the moulding...

I've attached the 247 whiet metal ones (after much thinning down), so hopefully they'll prove to be OK - if I see some fantastic sparks on curves then I know that all will not have gone to plan!

Many thanks for the gen though!

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You may want to consider some side control on the pony truck as well. This will limit the amount it can flop around, and actually make it do its real job by actually steering the rest of the wheels through the curve. 

It can be pretty simple, a length of handrail wire mounted down through the footplate that fits in a short slot in the pony truck, this allows it to move in a restricted fashion, the wire will flex slightly when the pony gets to the end of the slot giving a bit of extra turn. 

I take it you have changed the Lima wheels for Romfords?

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 17/06/2021 at 16:05, Firecrest said:

Ahhhh I didn't realise they came as a bagged item - every picture I've looked at they've not been fitted (apart from the Brassmasters etch), so I assumed they'd been left off the moulding...

I've attached the 247 whiet metal ones (after much thinning down), so hopefully they'll prove to be OK - if I see some fantastic sparks on curves then I know that all will not have gone to plan!

Many thanks for the gen though!

Chris

I think you'll find that front steps for many models, Bachmann and Hornby do/ did come as attachments for the purchaser to add. Ditto a lot of the cylinder drainpipes.

The reason I assume being that those with tight curves have to give such items a miss, otherwise they cause derailments. My own curves are quite generous for a home layout at around 27'' minimum radius, and even with this I find compromise is sometimes needed, although I can usually get away with moving steps out a bit, filing a bit off the back, or with cylinder drainpipes having overdone bends to clear the front pony or bogie wheels.

I've always wondered how many actually fit the extra bits? I do, although sometimes I lag behind as locos are bought. The models generally look significantly better with the bits fitted IMHO.

John.

• Like 1

The Bachmann Crab won't negotiate 3rd radius curves with the steps in place. At least not in the right place, experiments wt moving them out a mm or so on either side are looking more promising. 

Years ago I built a Black 5 in EM and used the Lima solution ! Another loco on the same layout had its front steps hinged using a bit of hypodermic tube so the inside wheels could push them out of the way. 

• Agree 1