Hornby class 01 R3729 in "NE" unlined black livery

GWR-fan

I was unaware that this model had been released so was very surprised to see it on special on a Victorian retailer's eBay site listing.   The loco arrived late this afternoon so I set about test running it.  It performed brilliantly being whisper quiet and very smooth.  A look down the funnel showed a hint of brass so I checked the instructions and sure enough there is a flywheel in the smokebox.    The loco is "hard wired" to the tender.

Being "NE" livery then I assume its period of operation would have been the war years.   The packaging description refers to it being rebuilt as a class 01 in April/May 1945 so would the model really be applicable to the post-war years?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, GWR-fan said:

I was unaware that this model had been released so was very surprised to see it on special on a Victorian retailer's eBay site listing.   The loco arrived late this afternoon so I set about test running it.  It performed brilliantly being whisper quiet and very smooth.  A look down the funnel showed a hint of brass so I checked the instructions and sure enough there is a flywheel in the smokebox.    The loco is "hard wired" to the tender.

Being "NE" livery then I assume its period of operation would have been the war years.   The packaging description refers to it being rebuilt as a class 01 in April/May 1945 so would the model really be applicable to the post-war years?

Are you sure its hard wired? Not just the usual 4-pin plug arrangement? Must be changed by the previous owner if it is hardwired 

You will notice that I placed the words in inverted commas.  Yes, it is a plug but like all Hornby locomotives with the umbilical connection I consider them to be permanent connections due the fragility of the wires.    Unlike many other Hornby tender locomotives,  the four-pin connector is not underneath the chassis on the tender.

• RMweb Premium

They would have been brand new during the end of the war, being rebuilt (from O4s) in 1944 and 1945, so depending when exactly during the war years you're modelling, it might be a bit of a stretch. The livery would apply to 1944-1948.

Or just refer to Rule 1.

And, just a nitpick, but it is O1, not 01. :-P

Edited by Dragonfly

18 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

They would have been brand new during the end of the war, being rebuilt (from O4s) in 1944 and 1945, so depending when exactly during the war years you're modelling, it might be a bit of a stretch. The livery would apply to 1944-1948.

Or just refer to Rule 1.

Not really a nitpick – the briefly perceived prospect of an 01 caused a flutter, More likely to be Heljan than Hornby, though.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Or just refer to Rule 1.

Loco 6359 emerged from its rebuild as an O1 on 16/6/1945. The modelling 'window' I assume is 17 months as in 11/46 it received its later LNER number 3663. Although the full 'LNER' was restored to engines from January 1946 there are several examples of engines with the later number paired with tenders carrying just 'NE' so it is likely that this was carried out during a repaint at works during a general repair which in the case of 6359/3663 was not until 3/5/1947. Renumbering was probably done at shed as the whole scheme was completed during 1946. The first O1 (6595) was rebuilt as such in February 1944. All this from Yeadon register 24B and 'green book' 6B.

• Informative/Useful 1