what colour are these coaches? Birmingham 1958

• RMweb Gold

This image, from the Warwickshirerailway forum, shows ex-LMS 5XP Jubilee class 45577 "Bengal" entering New Street station in 1958.  Can anyone please advise what the colours of the coaches would be in this view?

406954095_StanierBlack5andJubilee45577besidetheturntablec1958a.jpg.3473815ff2ec29e825d8b687486f8a65.jpg

Cheers,
Mike

• Like 1

Looks like two mk1 coaches behind the loco. The 2nd one looks to be BR maroon. As the picture is from 1958 perhaps a blood and custard coach would not be out of place? Blood and custard began phasing out in 1956 I believe and surely some would still have kept their livery for a number of years. I am no expert though. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks both.  Being a newbie is my reason for asking and I appreciate responses like these.  Would the Jubilee in that view be BR black or maroon?

My vignette is going to need something like the Jubilee but I am finding them to be really expensive in N Gauge.  Anyone know of discount outlets that have them at bargain prices?   I shall plan to do a working layout after this build so I am looking for a working loco.  I've heard that Hattons do discounts but are there any others out there?  I really need to keep my spend within limits.

cheers,
Mike

Edited by Royal42

• RMweb Gold

The text with the photo states " Ex-LMS 5XP 'Jubilee Class' 4-6-0 No 4557 'Bengal' enters New Street station with an ex-Bristol express passenger service circa 1958. The Bristol Barrow Road (82E) allocated LMS 'Jubilee' locomotive is passing New Street No 5 Signal Cabin......"

Mike

Edited by Royal42

41 minutes ago, Royal42 said:

Thanks both.  Being a newbie is my reason for asking and I appreciate responses like these.  Would the Jubilee in that view be BR black or maroon?

My vignette is going to need something like the Jubilee but I am finding them to be really expensive in N Gauge.  Anyone know of discount outlets that have them at bargain prices?   I shall plan to do a working layout after this build so I am looking for a working loco.  I've heard that Hattons do discounts but are there any others out there?  I really need to keep my spend within limits.

cheers,
Mike

The locomotive would be in BR green. All the Jubilees acquired this livery after nationalisation. In early BR days some were painted lined black but I think they were all green by 1958.

I think Hattons would be a good place to start but you could always look on eBay.

Yep. All Jubilees were painted green in BR days. Once things had settled down BR decided on crimson and cream for main line coaches and plain crimson for suburban stock. In 1956 maroon was introduced for all coaches.  Not long after the Southern Region went to green coaches and the Western Region painted coaches for their crack expresses into chocolate and cream. By 1960 there were just a few odd crimson and cream coaches to be found in trains. The Western Region chocolate and cream sets were broken up around 1962 and from then chocolate and cream coaches would turn up as odd coaches amongst maroon sets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another query please;  can anyone advise me of an acrylic paint to match the green of the Jubilee class?  I normally use Vallejo or Humbrol but can order others if I there is a special one.

cheers,
Mike

3 hours ago, Royal42 said:

Another query please;  can anyone advise me of an acrylic paint to match the green of the Jubilee class?  I normally use Vallejo or Humbrol but can order others if I there is a special one.

cheers,
Mike

Humbrol Rail colour acrylics RC405 BR green. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold
On 05/07/2021 at 12:05, Michael Hodgson said:

Class A headlamps, only 4 coaches.  Was that normal or would it be the Birmingham portion of something bigger?

Actually only three in the picture, the line across the roof in the first one is the shadow of the signal gantry. The rest of the train is still in Suffolk Street Tunnel.

Looking at the loco and the shadows the prime suspect is the 10.30am Bristol - Newcastle. This was made up of MK1 stock with the exception of the third coach which was an LMS Period 2 Restaurant Car. This is the last vehicle visible. The train was 10 coaches on Monday to Thursday and ii on Friday and Saturday.

The formation was BSK/FK/RC/SO/5xSK/BSK, increased to 6xSK on Friday and  Saturday. As one of the principal trains on the route it was among the first to get all maroon Mk1 stock.

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1