Telegraph poles and fencing

• RMweb Premium

We've all seen many detailed layouts complete with telegraph poles and fencing. But most don't bother to attach telegraph wires to the poles. Yet spend countless hours attaching multiple wires across their line side fence posts. I guess my point is that whilst the fence posts look fine and accurate, the wires can often look over scale and sometimes IMHO, incongruous. So why not leave them off and just have the fence posts? Am I missing something here?

• Agree 1

Half-a-century ago when we were creating an accurate P4 model of Bembridge in the Isle of Wight, we undertook the practical experiment of standing an equivalent distance at the real place as spectators would be at a show and looking at the telephone and fence wires (which were at least partly still in place), and this enabled us to confirm that they are effectively invisible. Poles and posts were placed precisely where they existed on the prototype.

1038908530_Bembridge1.PhotoLateIanLyleLR.jpg.336c0c5fac3332cfa530a45773c49353.jpg

photo: the late Ian Lyle - one of "the five"

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

If you can't find wire that is fine enough, you should encourage spiders run their cobwebs between the posts.

Not a big fan of the eight leggers though.