Flat Bottom Turnout Info

AndyID

I'm trying to produce some 3-D models of the components used in flat bottom turnouts for 3-D printing but I'm not having a lot of luck finding drawings and images of the base-plates, particularly for the crossings. I know there are a great variety of them but I'd be most appreciative if anyone can point me at some good references/photos or post anything relevant in this thread.

I'm working on a PAN 11 base at the moment and guessing a bit about some of the dimensions. I'll post the editable 3-D DXF model file here when I'm reasonably happy with it.

Here's a couple of pages from the Permanent Way Institution's "British Railway Track" which you may find of use.  This is the sixth edition so may be a bit out-of-date, the seventh is now available.

Turnout baseplates.pdf

You don't say what scale you are modelling in but I have made modern turnouts cutting Peco components to size.  Here's an example in 7mm scale.  As always, observation of the prototype is recommended.

Point.JPG.5eaf54aaf9147a8ce481b6a60626d140.JPG

Chris Turnbull   

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

52 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Here's a couple of pages from the Permanent Way Institution's "British Railway Track" which you may find of use.  This is the sixth edition so may be a bit out-of-date, the seventh is now available.

Turnout baseplates.pdf 1.26 MB · 2 downloads

You don't say what scale you are modelling in but I have made modern turnouts cutting Peco components to size.  Here's an example in 7mm scale.  As always, observation of the prototype is recommended.

Point.JPG.5eaf54aaf9147a8ce481b6a60626d140.JPG

Chris Turnbull   

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that. The vintage isn't a problem. Older is probably better. I model in 00 but the CAD models will be drawn full-size so they can be reduced to any model scale by anyone who wants to use them.

I'd like to take photos of the prototype but that's a bit difficult as I'm 4,500 miles away :)

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, AndyID said:

Many thanks Keith.

Note that the list given is rather old school and the details are for the original inclined rail FB layouts. From I think the late 1960's BR moved to a set of designs where the rails were held vertically, as this reduced the number of different baseplates required in the crossing area. Vertical S&C sits on larger squarer four screw baseplates usually referred to as V baseplates as they all have the letter V in their identifying number.  As opposed to the earlier inclined designs where the single rail baseplates were the same or nearly the same as those used in plainline.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1