Just a screw loose, where do I find a replacement

RobinofLoxley

I have lost a connecting rod retaining screw (part no possibly 150-136) from my Bachmann GWR pannier tank. I can get a replacement from Bachmann but the trouble is they will only sell the entire wheelset which will cost me more or less what i paid for the loco in the first place. Does anyone know where I might be able to locate a replacment? Not a moneymaking proposition obviously.

• RMweb Gold

Have you actually asked Bachmann Spares Dept if they'll let you have a single screw? I had a similar problem with a Hornby crankpin screw that snapped, and they kindly sent me one FOC. 

5 minutes ago, RFS said:

Have you actually asked Bachmann Spares Dept if they'll let you have a single screw? I had a similar problem with a Hornby crankpin screw that snapped, and they kindly sent me one FOC. 

They declined, saying sorry but its a set. You would think the screws would be generic; my next step will be to take the remaining screw to my local real hardware store adnd see if we can identify what it is, thread etc.

In fact when I looked again I realised it wasnt a screw missing but a post. Presumably held in by the screw on the central wheelset. So that is a replacement unfortunately. Still its a pity the connecting rod set isnt sold by itself, I have to buy a set of wheels. The only consolation is that its a loco worth saving, it pulls very well (4-5 coaches) and has a crazy top speed.

Few years time this will be a non problem as your spares box fills with maimed and side lined Bachmann mechanisms from which you can harvest this type of spares.  Admittedly they are getting better but they needed to, hence my Bachmann bodies on Triang Chassis bodges which have the draw back of degraded appearance but the advantage  of actually running and actually pulling sensible trains.

• 1 month later...

Well, potentially this story has a happy ending. I have just done a bit more work and found that actually my old tank engine was no Bachmann after all, despite arriving in a Bachmann box several years ago, but is actually an old Hornby/Triang R051.

I researched again and found

https://www.hornbytriangspareparts.co.uk/

I had to buy a pack of 10 S2352 conrod rivets and I am now waiting for the postman (woman actually) to deliver them.

Assuming that the rivet is the solution and it stops the drive mechansim from locking up, I fully intend to convert it to DCC. Looks a very simple conversion and as it runs and pulls beautifully I hope it will do so post conversion.