Bachmann Peter Sam Prototype Pictures

TrainMan2001

Hey everyone,

I noticed that no one has talked about this yet, so I'm not sure how many of you know, but Bachmann revealed their first prototype of Peter Sam in a video yesterday, with better quality pictures today! 

E79-N3-TXMAMXz-9.jpg

E79-N3-VWYAkjh-s.jpg

E79-N3-XWQAc-I-we.jpg

While he is mostly based on his CGI model, there are some details that aren't on the render, that are on Edward Thomas. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Luke-s-New-Friend94.png

Main-Peter-Sam-CGI.png

Peter-Sam-CGIRear.png

One thing I did notice was that the rear wheel is forward of where it was on the CGI model, which appears to be accurate for Edward Thomas. He also has added steps under the cab. Also, you can't see it here, but the cab is partially blacked out over the rear wheel (as if the firebox extends to the back of the cab), which is apparently because the rear wheels will be powered as well (it wasn't quite clear in the video). If that's true, it will be nice, because it will help avoid the problem that Skarloey had with traction.

What do you guys think of the model? The Facebook concensus appears to be split between "junk toy" and "it'll be fairly good". Most people are upset about the lack of daylight under the boiler. Overall, I like it, because it appears to be a similar style to how they did Rheneas, which is currently my favorite model in the range.

Edit: Oh, and the pistons are accurate to Edward Thomas, rather than the CGI render, which is a nice detail.

Edited by TrainMan2001

• RMweb Premium

The solid block under the boiler rather spoils it for me. But i shall wait and see what the finished article looks like before passing final judgement, I might still get one anyway.

• Agree 1

Interesting. I suppose if you wanted to hide the lack of daylight, then you could maybe have some junk on the footplate.

I find myself speculating as to whether the terms of Bachmann's licensing agreement would allow them to produce a more prototypically accurate body and sell the engine as a regular Tattoo. I note that most of the non-TV-accurate details are below the footplate.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 05/08/2021 at 10:13, HonestTom said:

I find myself speculating as to whether the terms of Bachmann's licensing agreement would allow them to produce a more prototypically accurate body and sell the engine as a regular Tattoo.

That’s been clarified previously with Skarloey and it’s a no, the whole tooling suite is licensed. If they’d been allowed to do it they’d have made sure they could put daylight beneath the boiler too. 

Edited by PaulRhB