Turntable wiring help please

upnick

Hi  All,
It's  been a  while  since  i  was  at  a  layout  ..... i  have  downsized it  &  would  like  some  advice  on a turntable / turning   the  loco around  without having a short  ... in  the  picture the idea is too have the loco come down the white incline into the curve leading too a  yard turn around & pick up a  rake of  wagons too  then go  back up the incline ....  space  being a premium the loco driving onto a  pair of rails too then turn around & drive back towards the incline would  create a  short ? i have a large bearing i can mount some rails on  thus  saving space.
My  question on wiring is  would a DPDT  switch sort things  as i  have  read.

241009653_397129218443513_9189969090917997598_n.jpg

I see your problem. Is there no way you can create more space. Put in a loop with auto reverse or a turntable. It seems to me you are creating a difficulty. That Black box with wires, can you move that to get some space?

Many  thanks for  your reply  Melvin,

If  i  did  put in a Peco N  scale  turntable do  they automatically adjust the  track reversal without the need  for an  auto reverse  unit  ? 

The  black box in the  picture is  my Power Pro  control with  its power supply which will  live  under  the  layout eventually so its  only  temporary being on the  layout.

If you are using DCC the easiest way is to use a double pole polarity reverser, about £25 - £30, 2 wires in from the track, 2 wires out to the deck rails, and it does the job for you. I have used 2 different makes, they are brill, but I forget the makers names. A DCC shop will advise you.

Depends upon the TT, some have slip rings which sort out polarity reversal (DC) or phasing (DCC). Some need wiring tweaks to be used on DCC.

Which TT did you have in mind or will it be DIY. If DIY I used a 1/4” 6mm stereo jack plug and socket as my pivot and power transfer, but if you want powered rotation then that means external gers, not too easy to find.

If N scale you may get away with a CD/DVD and case as the rotational basis for a DIY TT.

Edited by RAF96
More info as the memory catches up.

• 2 weeks later...

The Peco TT does have a reverse built into it. However, if you stop in the wrong place, you have a dead spot. Other TTs don't have this, but it does give you more reliable contact and you will need, as noted. a polarity switch. Gaugemaster do one, DCC40, but this works on DCC only. I have a couple and found them very reliable.