Inside diesel servicing depot

class37418stag

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't directly involved in TMD depots but was for a long time based on shared sites and sometimes in shared buildings.

Colours would probably depend on the history of the depot and the date being modelled. 

During the BR period much of the furniture came from the same suppliers as standard government stuff. Desks and tables could be wood or metal. Wooden office desks were often made in-house, my plan desk in the design office was made by Wolverton Carriage Works. They were usually varnished and had brown, grey or black wipe-clean tops.

Over the years the colour of the common 'Bisley' 4-drawer filing cabinet used changed from olive green similar to military vehicles, then mid grey and during the 1980s we started getting ones with a dark brown case and beige drawers.

Steel cupboards, 3 feet wide by 4 feet and 6 feet high, followed the same progression.

Racking and storage trays were mainly mid grey as in Tony's picture linked above.

In earlier times the radiators in my offices were sometimes the same colour as the walls, usually cream. In 1990 I had blue ones a bit darker than Rail Blue. I think that was in the Network Southeast period.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Steven B said:

Most depots have had an open day at one time or another - searching on Flickr brings up plenty of images from steam to modern day.

Steven B.

Hello Steven

i has spent my time with been searched online by Flickr and most diesel locomotives inside TMD and BREL and tried find BR open day at TMD

and nothing else than only diesel locomotives 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, class37418stag said:

Hello Steven

i has spent my time with been searched online by Flickr and most diesel locomotives inside TMD and BREL and tried find BR open day at TMD

and nothing else than only diesel locomotives 

A common problem alas - everybody took photos of locos and didn't bother with much else.

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold

The 'depot' at Gloucester Horton Road was actually the former repair shop and was modernised to maintain on-track machines and not normally used for locos - hence it has no fuelling facilities as would normally be found in a loco servicing shed on the WR (as visible in the second down photo of Canton servicing shed).   Diesel depots usually had a servicing shed, or area outdoors for servicing, plus a separate heavy maintenance shed hence the photos show two different types of depot building usage.

Unlikely that filing cabinets and workshop tables ever received any paint once installed, so just go with dark green. It was the colour of most filing cabinets I remember, radiators and walls well nicotine yellow would be my choice. Storage trays would be most likely be chipped so plenty of polished steal showing, base colour of faded blue or red oxide. Don't forget a couple of lockers for overalls etc, again usually dark green. A bench with some old carriage seat bases, this might be worth a watch, some messroom and office footage near the end. My old depot at the time!

1 hour ago, w124bob said:

dark green. It was the colour of most filing cabinets

Don't forget a couple of lockers for overalls etc, again usually dark green. 

Not disbelieving you but strangely I don't remember anything being dark green.  I remember filing cabinets and shelving units as all being grey, and all the lockers I ever had (except once when I had one of those strange cage ones for a bit) were grey as well.

Also in the 70s/80s most of the wooden benches you saw in messrooms/shunters cabins had been painted (BR) blue.

• Agree 1