RAILWAY STUDIES AND MODELLERS SHOW AT NEWTON ABBOT LIBRARY. 4TH DECEMBER 2021 10AM TIL 4PM FREE ADMISSION, DONATIONS WELCOME

D1006STALWART

Unique Railway Studies Collection opens up for a Railway Studies and Modellers show at Newton Abbot Library 

On Saturday 4th December 2021, the Railway Studies Collection, located within Newton Abbot library, will be holding a Railway Studies and Modellers Show. So far 9 visiting layouts are confirmed, as well as numerous exhibitors and socitety stands, the organizers are still welcoming exhibitors.  This is a family friendly event with lots for all the family.

Admission is free but the library would really appreciate donations to help keep the collection running.

The aim of the show is to increase awareness of this fascinating collection, the second largest in the UK. Doors open at 10am and whilst there is no entry fee, all donations will be gratefully received on the door and will go towards the upkeep and continued development of the Railway Studies Collection. 

Michelle Pearson, Customer Service Assistant at Newton Abbot Library said: “We have invited a selection of well-known traders including model railway suppliers, railwayana, DVD publishers, railway societies and preserved railways to attend. We will also have a ‘white glove experience’  exploring some of our oldest and rarest titles in the Collection, and some special themed children’s activities for any young enthusiasts.” 

She added, “We are keen to promote local businesses, and all trade stands will be free to attend, though donations to the collection would be appreciated. In addition, we will have a number of N, OO, HO and garden rail exhibitors in attendance.” 

The library are still welcoming traders and exhibitors; for all enquiries, please contact Newton Abbot Library on 01626 886223, or email at railwaystudies.library@librariesunlimited.org.uk 

The show will be open from 10am to 4pm. There is an excellent café within the library and easy access to the show on the first floor via a lift or stairs. The library is a 15 minute walk from Newton Abbot Railway Station, a 5 minute walk from the bus station, and there is ample paid parking nearby. 

Newton Abbot Library is part of a network of 54 libraries in Devon and Torbay, and four Devon mobile libraries, run by Libraries Unlimited, an independent staff and community owned charity. Join the library for free by filling out the online form, 'Join the Library - Devon', at devonlibraries.org.uk.

The Railway Studies Collection: 

The Railway Studies Collection is located on the first floor of the impressive Passmore Edwards Centre, built in 1904 as a Science, Art and Technical School.  The building now is home to Newton Abbot Library, run by the charity Libraries Unlimited (charity number 1170092). 

The Railway Studies Collection is a vast collection of books, documents and photographs.  The development of the Collection, over 20 years ago, was instigated by David St. John Thomas of David and Charles Publishers, and believed to be one of the largest collections of its type outside of the National Railway Museum in York.    We are in the continued process of cataloguing and archiving the vast collection, which includes 1000s of photographs and many original blueprint documents, maps, timetables etc.  The Railway Studies Collection is a valuable resource for anyone interested in today’s railways, railway history and modelling, and, with the aid of donations and bequests, continues to grow and develop. In addition to Libraries Unlimited staff, we have a dedicated team of volunteers, the Friends of the Railway Studies Collection, whose knowledge of all things railway is second to none.  The Friends group run talks, meet regularly at the library and are keen to recruit more, keen volunteers to help the next generation of railway enthusiasts to enjoy the collection

Railways-Show-poster.pdf

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• D1006STALWART changed the title to RAILWAY STUDIES AND MODELLERS SHOW AT NEWTON ABBOT LIBRARY. 4TH DECEMBER 2021 10AM TIL 4PM FREE ADMISSION, DONATIONS WELCOME
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have previously heard of the Railway Studies Collection at Newton Abbot, but have never been there.

This event on 4th December looks like an ideal time to make my first visit, it will also be my first to a model railway event for almost two years,

cheers

• Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...

In the absence of other reports, I'd just like to say how much I enjoyed this show.  An excellent selection of layouts, society stands and suppliers was on offer - all for the price of a nominal donation.  Lots to see - everyone was very friendly, being more than happy to chat.  Lots of fascinating old photo displays to browse too.

We couldn't stay, but did anyone attend the talk upstairs?  I gather the scheduled 2pm slot was quickly fully booked, so the organisers arranged for a repeat!

Well done Newton Abbot library service! :clapping:

Edited by Platform 1
Add bit about photos.
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Platform 1 said:

In the absence of other reports, I'd just like to say how much I enjoyed this show.  An excellent selection of layouts, society stands and suppliers was on offer - all for the price of a nominal donation.  Lots to see - everyone was very friendly, being more than happy to chat.  Lots of fascinating old photo displays to browse too.

We couldn't stay, but did anyone attend the talk upstairs?  I gather the scheduled 2pm slot was quickly fully booked, so the organisers arranged for a repeat!

I did submit a similar positive report but apparently it had to be approved by mods, and hasn't appeared; not sure what I said wrong :)

• Friendly/supportive 3

thank you all for your lovely comments, and thank you to those that came and supported the first show of this kind that the library has put on.

the show was a great success, it far surpassed everyone's expectations.  We think it attracted in excess of 800 visitors which is fantastic.

I hope there will be a 2022 show, watch this space

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/11/2021 at 18:27, Gilbert said:

Sounds like an ideal excuse to take a Castle HST along the sea wall...

Which I did.......nice walk to the show via the local model shop. Nice to see some very enthusiastic organisers and exhibitors - plus some full looking, donation boxes.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I went along too, enjoyed the opportunity of getting into an exhibition again. I did like the modular 009 layout featuring Barnstaple Town at one end, they seemed to be enjoying running a couple of Bachmann Fairlies which one driver said was the best loco he'd known!

No idea if I saw anyone from here due to use of masks and avatar pictures though...  :pardon_mini:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/12/2021 at 20:43, Platform 1 said:

My computer has been away for repair, so I would now also add that I enjoyed the show. It was busy, but when I arrived at about midday it was not too crowded. I thought the 009 L&B inspired layout was good, and also the Upwey Junction inspired layout.

I managed to get a ticket for the talk by Amyas Crump, which was enjoyable and informative, and I guessed there was a second talk arranged.

Having been intrigued by the  book collection I went down on my day off on Tuesday to have a look at the books. It is a very impressive collection, and I will try to go another day when the volunteers are on duty,

cheers 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 06/12/2021 at 12:32, D1006STALWART said:

thank you all for your lovely comments, and thank you to those that came and supported the first show of this kind that the library has put on.

the show was a great success, it far surpassed everyone's expectations.  We think it attracted in excess of 800 visitors which is fantastic.

I hope there will be a 2022 show, watch this space

I enjoyed the show, it was great to meet and talk to exhibitors again after a long break.

I did have the chance to thank a couple of the exhibitors and library staff near the end. I would certainly try to come down again if there was another show.

I also made a return visit during the following week to have a proper look around the book collection which is impressive. I then crossed the road and made a visit to the new town museum to view the railway exhibits there which made a good day out.

cheers    

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am really pleased to announce that the Railway Studies Collection are holding another show on December 9th 2023, at the public library in Newton Abbot.

I will post a new thread on the forum but here are the show posters.

It would mean a lot if readers could share with friends, thank you..

We estimate that around 700 people came to the last show, and it was good to see so many visitors enjoying the show.

This year there are two talks/presentations one by Jack Boskett the well known royal and railway photographer.  there is a separate charge for attending these talks.

Admission to the main show is free again this year but the Railway Studies Collection are part of Libraries Unlimited,  a registered charity, and would appreciate a donation, they are suggesting £5 per person 

Whats on RSC Show poster.png

Railway Show - Friends talk.png

Railway Show - JACK BOSKETT.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1