East Penn Industrial Spur

Alcanman

Having built several small switching layouts without a run-around over the last few years, I felt it was time to have another attempt at building one with a run-around. - I do like to see a train arriving from staging with the loco leading!

For inspiration, I turned to one of my favourite small switching layouts, Chris Gilbert’s ‘North Haston. I’ve adapted the plan to fit my usual 9ft x 15ins space.

A cement terminal is something I’ve never done before and will be a challenge to fit into the small space available. The purchase of short 2 bay covered hoppers will be necessary to service the terminal.

The second spur will be a food processor receiving boxcars and corn syrup tank cars.

Like my previous layout, the layout will be set in eastern Pennsylvania and operated by the Reading and Northern (RBMN), with Norfolk Southern  also making an appearance from time to time.

I’ve now finished laying the track and will  proceed with wiring the layout.

new layout october 2021.jpg

r&n 2021.JPG

Edited by Alcanman
change of layout name
  • Like 16

4 hours ago, Alcanman said:

For inspiration, I turned to one of my favourite small switching layouts, Chris Gilbert’s ‘North Haston. I’ve adapted the plan to fit my usual 9ft x 15ins space.

I was wondering what had happened to the diamond crossing from Chris's plan. :dontknow:

My bad - I was thinking of his earlier layout, Haston Nomad!! :rolleyes:  :fool:  Duuuhh!!!

• Like 1

'The purchase of short 2 bay covered hoppers will be necessary to service the terminal.'

This has proven to be a bit of a challenge as I wanted modern type 2 bay covered hoppers. A search of retailers here in the UK and e-bay UK proved fruitless.

One retailer whose website I hadn't been unable to access fully on my ancient PC was ' Mech Models'. However, the recent  purchase of a new PC brought an unexpected nice surprise.

Now able to access fully their website I was delighted to see that they had some very nice Walthers hopper cars in stock. This was my first time using this retailer and I found their service to be excellent with prompt despatch and receipt of the hopper cars. More have been ordered and I'll weather them in due course.

DSCF5011 (2).JPG

• Like 10

• Alcanman changed the title to East Penn Industrial Spur

As you can see the layout now has a name.

I choose a generic name rather than a specific location. I'd looked at the Humboldt Industrial Park in Hazleton PA for inspiration where Cargill have a facilty which receives boxcars and corn syrup tank cars. 

I've finished wiring the layout and locos are running nice and smoothly for switching.

A few more cement hoppers have arrived courtesy of Mech Models. The runaround and staging track will take max of  4 cement cars or 3 50ft boxcars.

R&N 2.JPG

R&N 1.JPG

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

A little progress over the weekend. I wanted to ensure that the small cement unloading terminal would fit into the small space available.

I had a couple of silos and other bits available from a Walthers kit to add to the Pikestuff unloading shed.  Gave them a quick coat of primer and I'm reasonably happy with how they look.  Still lots of detail, railings etc to add but I'm reasonably happy with the result.

DSCF5012 (2).JPG

• Like 6

Nice layout!

Intrigued by the cement unloading shed. Just getting back into the hobby with an N Scale project. It will have a cement unloading shed based on the prototype in New Lebanon New Hampshire. Now on the New England Central Railroad, when I visited in 2008 it was on the Claremont and Concord.

PS yes it pretty much is a Pikestuff kit

20081009 Around WRJ 30D 042.jpg

20081009 Around WRJ 30D 043.jpg

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

22 hours ago, alastairb said:

Nice layout!

Intrigued by the cement unloading shed. Just getting back into the hobby with an N Scale project. It will have a cement unloading shed based on the prototype in New Lebanon New Hampshire. Now on the New England Central Railroad, when I visited in 2008 it was on the Claremont and Concord.

PS yes it pretty much is a Pikestuff kit

20081009 Around WRJ 30D 042.jpg

20081009 Around WRJ 30D 043.jpg

Great to see photo of a small cement unloading shed.

To be honest, I wasn't sure that such small cement terminals existed on the prototype.I had thought of using Walthers Cornerstone 'Medusa Cement' kit but I felt the footprint and height were far too big and overwhelming  for the space available.

Having seen your photos, I'm much happier with my decision to kitbash a small cement facility.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Alcanman
error
  • Like 3

On 09/11/2021 at 19:10, Alcanman said:

Great to see photo of a small cement unloading shed.

To be honest, I wasn't sure that such small cement terminals existed on the prototype.I had thought of using Walthers Cornerstone 'Medusa Cement' kit but I felt the footprint and height were far too big and overwhelming  for the space available.

Having seen your photos, I'm much happier with my decision to kitbash a small cement facility.

Thanks for sharing.

Glad to hear it was useful. From memory:  cement cars (small 3000 cu ft? Trinity Hoppers on my visit) go in one side, the cement is unloaded and is stored in a tank in the centre of the shed and road vehicles are loaded at the side. As a bonus I got a cab ride in the Alco S4 later that morning 

20081009 Around WRJ 30D 103.jpg

20081009 Around WRJ 30D 106.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2021 at 10:06, Alcanman said:

'The purchase of short 2 bay covered hoppers will be necessary to service the terminal.'

This has proven to be a bit of a challenge as I wanted modern type 2 bay covered hoppers. A search of retailers here in the UK and e-bay UK proved fruitless.

One retailer whose website I hadn't been unable to access fully on my ancient PC was ' Mech Models'. However, the recent  purchase of a new PC brought an unexpected nice surprise.

Now able to access fully their website I was delighted to see that they had some very nice Walthers hopper cars in stock. This was my first time using this retailer and I found their service to be excellent with prompt despatch and receipt of the hopper cars. More have been ordered and I'll weather them in due course.

DSCF5011 (2).JPG

I find it's always worth looking at the Rails of Sheffield eBay shop. There's a huge amount of US stuff on there at really low prices.

Regards

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, josh_will said:

I find it's always worth looking at the Rails of Sheffield eBay shop. There's a huge amount of US stuff on there at really low prices.

Regards

And the reason I suggested this is because I don't think you'd find specific items they're selling by searching eBay. So, for example let's say you searched "2-bay covered hopper" you won't find one of their listings by doing that. They tend to sell items as 3 or 4 cars sold together with a simple description such as "4 x Athearn hoppers" or "3 x HO wagons, various makes". Hope this helps.

Regards

Edited by josh_will
Error
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Merc435 said:

Love this Alcan. Started my first attempt at a US H0 layout a week or so ago. Taking my time and finding my feet as it's all a bit foreign:scared:

Keep up the good work.

Thanks. Welcome to the 'darkside', you won't regret it. If you need any advice  with your project there are plenty of people here to help.

Mal

• Like 1

Santa very kindly made a trip across the Atlantic to bring me this very nice Atlas Gold GE U23B.

Despite displaying a smart 'Conrail Express' paint scheme, the unit is actually 'Owned and operated by Reading and Northern Railroad' as stated in the small print below 'Conrail Express'.

I'm also pleased to see that Atlas are now fitting ESU Loksound V5 sound decoders which have eliminated the 'buzzing' sound which afflicted some locos with Loksound Select decoders. 

I had an Atlas GP40-2 where the 'buzzing', caused by the BEMF circuitry, was so loud it was audible above the normal loco sounds. I eventually sold the loco.

So, I'm very pleased with the new addition which will sit nicely alongside my R&N MP15dc. 

And I love the way the engineer seems to peering out of his cab looking at the photographer.;)

DSCF5022 (3).JPG

DSCF5025 (2).JPG

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Not sure how many locos received that "Conrail Express" livery.  I found this one in Massey, Maryland back in October 2012 and I believe it still carries those colours today.

12-3027.jpg.d0b77d363e9361034d7790f94f4af412.jpg

Nice photo and here is some interesting info I found regarding 'Conrail Express'.

'In 1996 Conrail created a program to partner with 18 connecting shortlines called “Conrail Express,” a feeder system that Conrail hoped would operate similar to the manner in which major airlines serve smaller markets through commuter airlines. Two railroads bit for paint, Reading Blue Mountain & Northern and Maryland & Delaware. RBMN 2395 was painted, and wrecked a week later; MDDE 801 still wears the paint'.

So it looks like my loco met a rather untimely end!

rbmn2395b wrecked.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3