Too matt for Fox Transfers?

I'm treading into new waters.    I just airbrushed my first loco, a LNWR Special Tank in 7mm.    I intend to line it with Fox Transfers.

The paint finish turned out a little grainy.   Is it too rough for an effective adhesion of the transfers?    Should I spray the model with a gloss coat?

2021-11-05 15.59.44.jpg

2021-11-05 16.00.01.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd agree - I use Humbrol Decalfix but I think they're all pretty similar. I've been able to settle transfers on the most unpromising looking surfaces with careful use of Decalfix - you should be fine, very nice looking loco btw! :)

Yes, a coat of gloss varnish like Testor's Glosscote if you can find it.  Otherwise Krylon Gloss works well for me.  Test on some scrap first.

A coat of varnish improves the finish a great deal I have found.

After transfers have been applied I spray on a coat of matte varnish such as Testor's Dullcote or, again, Krylon.  I also use Micro Set and Micro Sol.

John

• Agree 2

Thanks guys.

I'll experiment with some boiler banding (I'll get a lot more than I need) on the big can that I painted.   I'll use micro set and micro sol and then see if my Testors Lacquer attacks the transfers.    Then I will try some transfers on the loco.  The micro set indicates that it can remove dried on transfers, should they not take well.   If not, then I will spray with some gloss lacquer.

I just had a fairly successful spray test with the matt lacquer, but the result was just a smidge dull.  Say eggshell.   I may try 2 parts matt with one part gloss to see if I get the satin look I'm after.

1 hour ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

You'll need a gloss coat to help the transfers adhere, and to ensure there's no silvering visible once they're dry.

Yes.   I used gloss Testors enamel sprayed with an airbrush.   The results are not as glossy as I'd hoped, but they may be good enough.   I think I can experiment.   Micro set apparently will remove dried transfers, if they do fail to set satisfactory.

• RMweb Premium
On 08/11/2021 at 22:22, ikcdab said:

Yes. I use Johnson's Klear which I paint thinly where I want the decals. Works for me 

Hi Ian, do you mean you only put Klear on areas where decals will sit, not over the whole side / panel / wider area? If so, do you ever get problem with different finish / gloss appearance between areas treated with Klear and ares that aren't?

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Hi Ian, do you mean you only put Klear on areas where decals will sit, not over the whole side / panel / wider area? If so, do you ever get problem with different finish / gloss appearance between areas treated with Klear and ares that aren't?

Hi Chas, yes I do mean that. And once they are set I give an overall coat of Matt varnish and I see no differences. Then I weather on top of that, the Matt varnish stops the weathering damaging the decals.

Ian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ikcdab said:

Hi Chas, yes I do mean that. And once they are set I give an overall coat of Matt varnish and I see no differences. Then I weather on top of that, the Matt varnish stops the weathering damaging the decals.

Ian

Thanks Ian, interesting to hear. I have a small bottle of Klear but haven't tried it yet and previously I've always tended to apply different varnishes to a whole panel or side - I might try a bit of experimenting with the Klear though...