Buyer beware - warranty issues

Gilbert

I think it's fairly easy to guess from what's been said who the retailer is, and I suspect that @AY Mod is correct - they have purchased a number of models at retail price, added their own sound project to the model and are then selling it on as a sound fitted model (ie it is a new model with a 'better' sound project installed)'.  I thought of purchasing one from said retailer, but never got around to it.  In essence I saw this as a better way of getting a sound fitted model than buying a non sound fitted model and then fitting said sound project separately.  However, as the original poster has pointed out, there would be no warranty when purchasing this way (although the retailer could effectively act as the buyer and claim against the original retailer that they purchased the stock from).  However, if you want the warranty, then you'd be better buying a non sound fitted model (so you have the warranty) and then getting someone to install sound in the model that you supply.

Although the original poster hasn't named names, it won't put me off purchasing from said retailer in the future.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I apologise if people think this is a pointless topic but I thought it was worth pointing out that the issue is out there - I did my order via the web but could equally have done so at a show. I did not know the sound-fitter in question did not have a Bachmann warranty arrangement but he has now stated he has ordered replacement bodies.

His lack of comms both when the issue arose and when the bodies were imminent did not give me confidence hence my approach to Bachmann who have acted well by agreeing to provide the body (and it has arrived) but pointed out they were not under an obligation to do so. That's it. I was trying to be helpful to the buying public i.e. you lot.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

3 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I apologise if people think this is a pointless topic but I thought it was worth pointing out that the issue is out there - I did my order via the web but could equally have done so at a show. I did not know the sound-fitter in question did not have a Bachmann warranty arrangement but he has now stated he has ordered replacement bodies.

His lack of comms both when the issue arose and when the bodies were imminent did not give me confidence hence my approach to Bachmann who have acted well by agreeing to provide the body (and it has arrived) but pointed out they were not under an obligation to do so. That's it. I was trying to be helpful to the buying public i.e. you lot.

Chris

I consider your post as very helpful, and has alerted me to check the authorised status if buying from a new supplier. It is because of your post that I've thought of the recent change to Bachmann's warranty for Club members, increasing it to 2 years, provided the purchase was from an authorised retailer. A non authorised retailer may be prepared to honour an exchange or refund for the normal warranty, but unlikely to agree to the same for the second year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

Not sure if this has been raised before, I'm just wondering how these unauthorised dealers are getting new products in the first place, I presume they must all be second hand items.

1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

Can be from wholesalers, although some manufacturers don't supply to wholesale any more.

It is perfectly possible to obtain new unsold stock on the 'grey market' where for example overstocked items or stock from bankrupt retailers is cleared. Often grey market items are sourced overseas - for example a continental dealer who wants to clear some non-core UK outline stock.

However, such items are rarely the sought after/sold out items that authorised retailers will be able to obtain 

• RMweb Gold

I don't think it's pointless, but it is starting to repeat itself and become boring; of course, I can vote with my mouse on that point.  Not all of us who buy stuff are fully aware of the status of the retailer, or how he is supplied, and it is a useful reminder of how to avoid being in a situation you weren't expecting to be in vis a vis it's warranty.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rembrow said:

Not necessarily, there is a well known large retailer in the north west,  who had their Bachmann retailer agreement withdrawn a few years ago, who regularly list new Bachmann stock on their website. Most are not new to market items, having been released several months previously, but are sold as new. It is believed they have a relationship with an authorised retailer, who supplies them with surplus stock

A dealer with an excellent no questions asked replace or refund policy in my experience. 

• Agree 1