Repairing a baseplate

I dont know if anyone has ever encountered a problem like tis, but i have a split chassis version Wraysbury Hall where the rear of the three retaining screws wont locate properly due to some damage to the bottom of the recess where the tightened screw head will sit. With only 2 screws in place the rear wheel set periodically jumps out of position. I wondered if anyone ever had to do a repair/bodge on something like this.

I should add that the baseplate isnt available from Bachmann spare parts, or Peters spares. So if anyone knows anywhere else that might have spares.....

Edited by RobinofLoxley
addition

A screw with an oversize counter sunk head might do the trick.  They must have spent thousands developing that special un stick able plastic. All my attempts to fix Bachmann baseplates have failed.  Maybe the people who bought them off me through eBay as non runners had better luck.

19 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

If memory serves me right the screws go into small plastic blocks that are used to separate the 2 sides of the split chassis. Just make sure that the block has nor either moved or split.

LOL. I have repaired that very block, but I can assure you that its perfectly in line. In this model, the screw I refer to has to mate into a threaded socket on a moulding that projects out of the block about 6mm. This moulding sheared off but at such an angle that it wasnt possible to reassemble it incorrectly. I used a pin that was a tight fit into the socket to hold the broken piece in the right place while the glue set.

Ive looked at the recess where I would have to put the washer under powerful magnification, and to my surprise the base of the recess where the screw sits, turned out to be flat, so in fact if I can find the right washer it should work. I will have to buy a packet of 20 I expect :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Ive looked at the recess where I would have to put the washer under powerful magnification, and to my surprise the base of the recess where the screw sits, turned out to be flat, so in fact if I can find the right washer it should work. I will have to buy a packet of 20 I expect :scratchhead:

Ebay sells spectacle and glasses repair sets… usually at least 1000 items of all sizes, 2mm and under, bolts, screws, washers, nuts etc. Usually around £3.99 area, and enough for a lifetime of little repairs like this.

On 22/11/2021 at 20:21, adb968008 said:

Ebay sells spectacle and glasses repair sets… usually at least 1000 items of all sizes, 2mm and under, bolts, screws, washers, nuts etc. Usually around £3.99 area, and enough for a lifetime of little repairs like this.

Thanks for that - its knowing what to search for sometimes. I asked here a few months back about a specific screw size without receiving any useful replies. Interestingly few of the offers contained any washers. So £5.99 spent.