Starting out in O Gauge

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

I have just purchased my very first O Gauge locomotive, a Heljan Class 60. I currently use a ZTC 511 to power my OO Gauge layout. Is this suitable for a short section of track with wheel rollers to run in my 60?

• RMweb Premium

Just had a look on Taunton Controls website at the manual , a bit of which says "The ZTC 511 Master Controller has a maximum current output of 5 amps  to the track."

On that basis I would have thought it has plenty of power.

• Agree 3

Welcome to the O gauge revolution.  I have a 8' (2.4m) x 1'6" layout. It is  DC only at this stage, but easily switchable to DCC.

I have a friend who's layout is a bit longer and is controlled by NCE and works fine.  I also have NCE for OO layout/stock.

Planning to extend. Have just bought a Dapol Sentinel.

Having just read instructions for ZTC 511, it looks like it would be suitable. Just Googled it.

Other side of ditch

Mark

P8200720.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I have used an n gauge specific ZTC511 to power a short section of O gauge track for testing an O gauge loco. It worked. Only ever used it with a single loco in O gauge at a time so no idea if it work work with more than one on the track at a time. 

Agree at 5 amps, it will be more than enough, a Heljan loco like a class 60 draws about 3 amps max. On page 12 or 13 of my Peasevern Yard thread I did a post about current draw on Heljan locos and how to find out how much current they draw.

• Thanks 1