BR steam blue

Hi 

I'm trying to find steam era br blue in a spray can. I've looked around an I can only find it in tins. Does anyone no of one in a spray can or if Halfords do a equivalent car colour that matches? I'm after the same colour as 6023 is currently.

Kind regards Neil

I don't know whether it's the lighting, but that looks a bit dark. They are supposed to be the same colour as Caledonian locomotives.

https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/article.php/75/6023-king-edward-ii

Best match is the Phoenix.

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/precisionrailway/nationalised/14p102

Previous thread here.

Jason

It`s a long while since i painted this model,this is the experimental blue of 1949.There is a lighter version but looking at the pheonix paint chart.that looks quite dark.The King in the photo is a good example why the blue was phased out,it weathered to a light blue in a very short time.

Ray

7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

but that looks a bit dark

I agree that the colour on the A4 does look a bit dark. Strangely, the thread on King Edward II has a shot of King George V where the blue seems way too light (the whole photo seems washed out - the buffer beam red is a real give-away) - this is presumably from the 1950s.

The GWS picture of KE II at Didcot is much closer to real life- and my own many pictures - I attach one here. One thing to note is the real glossiness of this paint - kept that way by the volunteers!

Yours,  Mike.

King_Edward_II_full.JPG.615d26efe82ed2c39ab82fda058df92e.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had a go at taking a photo of the screen and then adjusting the old pic of the blue King based on using the white at the centre of the steam for reference.  The buffer beam is less wishy-washy and the blue is still quite light though there's no way I can get the whole pic to 'feel right'.

rev blue King white balance.jpg

24 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

I had a go at taking a photo of the screen and then adjusting the old pic of the blue King based on using the white at the centre of the steam for reference.  The buffer beam is less wishy-washy and the blue is still quite light though there's no way I can get the whole pic to 'feel right'.

rev blue King white balance.jpg

The entire photo is far too pale. I wouldn’t stress about it. Early colour photographs were very inaccurate and then there are many other factors to consider: brightness of the sky, angle of the sun, colour of the sun and sky, limitations of the equipment and so on. Even today with current digital technology, two different photos of the same subject taken on different days in different conditions can make the same colours look nothing like each other.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, B15nac said:

I wonder if phoenix will do P102 Light Blue in a spray can if I ask. 

I wouldn't be put off by a colour in a photo being a bit light or dark, there's several stages of adjustment in making the photo that can cause a lot of difference, and that's before you get to the actual shade of the paint!

Here's my take on a "What if" version of P2's done as a production run, as they might have been in the early BR period. It uses Railmatch enamel, applied through my airbrush.

The loco is seen with a Bachmann A1, also in early BR blue as interpreted by Bachmann, then a Hornby "full fat" P2 in LNER green.

John.

IMG_1212 copyRMweb.jpg

IMG_1209 copyRMweb.jpg

IMG_1210 copyRMweb.jpg

Edited by John Tomlinson

12 hours ago, sagaguy said:

It`s a long while since i painted this model,this is the experimental blue of 1949.There is a lighter version but looking at the pheonix paint chart.that looks quite dark.The King in the photo is a good example why the blue was phased out,it weathered to a light blue in a very short time.

Ray

Ahh. That's the Experimental Blue rather than BR Express Blue that was meant for the 8Ps.

It's a different livery. The BR Blue is lighter as it's the same as Caledonian Blue.

Jason