Arrrgh! Murphys' law strikes!

Titan

I was going to take the opportunity yesterday to fix some wiring faults and possibly also wire up the colour light signals and lighting, and after doing two connections I picked up my soldering iron again and it was cold.  And it was not the fuse.  Hopefully my local model railway shop (amazingly I do have one) will be open today and have a replacement in stock. If not a trip to Halfords will be required if I am to do anything today...

Edited by Titan
  • Like 1

• Titan changed the title to Arrrgh! Murphys' law strikes!
  • RMweb Premium

I bought myself a cheap battery operated one, because on rare occasions I have to solder a couple of joints. Much more useful than a previous gas one I had, that was a pain to refill.

At least AA batteries can be obtained anywhere. Yes, I realise they chew through batteries at an alarming rate, but for the small amount of use, it's great.

BE AWARE though DO NOT just toss it in the tool box, where the button can accidentally be pressed!

I don't have one soldering iron, I have several.  Trouble is they are all different and sometimes only the one is suitable for the task in hand.  In this case I needed to do some delicate work for which only a fine point is suitable, and the other soldering irons were too big.  However, a cheap one from Halfords saved the day and now all is well.

• Friendly/supportive 1

You could always get an expensive one as a spare and use the cheap one,  I tend to stand on mine or leave them on for a week and I find the cheap ones last as long as the expensive ones.

Generally I but cheap ones from hardware shops run by our Asiatic cousins but recently I bought a wood burning tool with a soldering bit from Hobbycraft for a fiver.  The old Weller soldering gun is my favorite and a butane one my least, but I must try a battery soldering iron.
Getting decent solder is the challenge, the good stuff don't meet BS and EU regs.