LNER Gresley Coaches: Area Allocations by Diagram Number and Type

This research, mostly from Michael Harris’s books, attempts to list and describe LNER Gresley built coaches for 1923-39 in diagram number order with year of build and numbers allocated to each area.  The other file lists by type, year of build, initial allocations and as structured in the prestige services (Flying Scotsman, Silver Jubilee, Coronation, West Riding, East Anglian).  Additionally, appropriate Isinglass drawings and Kirk and Comet Models are referenced.  This takes Harris’s (1998) listing up to 1939 and should be of use to anyone wishing to reference the diagrams or know what carriages could have been allotted to their area of interest although, of course, further research would be required to fine tune this information.  It shows which diagrams are right for ECJS, North Eastern, Southern Scotland, Great Northern, Great Central, Great Eastern and North Scotland Areas.  However, it must be remembered that even in 1939 half of the stock in use was pre-grouping in origin.  I have no doubt that there will be some errors in this listing and happy to have them pointed out.

Edited by 4608
Please discard the versions that were here. I knew that there would be errors but as I reviewed them, I found an embarrassing number. Hence, I have redone these. See below.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

CORRECTION: Please discard the previous versions.  I knew that there would be errors but as I reviewed them, I found an embarrassing number.  Hence, I have redone these and double checked for differences. If there are errors now, it’s because I made the same error twice.  Hopefully not.  On the plus side there is more information now included.  Apologies.

Edited by 4608
Working on further corrections
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1